Driver Safety Tips
(Information provided by Smartfleet – www.smartfleetaustralia.com.au)
Get there safely
- Avoid conflict. Show restraint and stay calm.
- Don’t respond to challenges and avoid sudden swerving, acceleration or braking.
- Have patience when merging and allow others to merge. Avoid cutting in on other drivers.
- Don’t tailgate. Allow at least three seconds between the vehicle and the one in front.
- Remember, the faster the speed, the more time you need to stop.
- If other drivers show aggression, avoid eye contact and proceed as if nothing has happened. Keep well clear of a vehicle being driven in an erratic or unsafe way.
- If you make a mistake, say sorry to other drivers and say thanks if they are courteous to you.
- Remember, it is illegal for drivers to hold a mobile phone when driving! However, it is wise to have one with you in case of emergencies.
- Always try to avoid driving when fatigued.
- Never drive when under the influence of alcohol, medication or drugs.
- Don’t carry any kind of weapon.
- Be aware of what is happening around you at all times.
- Remember to buckle up at all times while driving.
- Always drive at speeds that are safe for the conditions and ensure that you drive within speed limits.