Course Title: Fashion Practice Research Strategies

Part A: Course Overview

Course Title: Fashion Practice Research Strategies

Credit Points: 12.00


Course Code




Learning Mode

Teaching Period(s)


City Campus


315H Architecture & Design


Sem 1 2006,
Sem 1 2007,
Sem 1 2008,
Sem 1 2009,
Sem 2 2009,
Sem 1 2010,
Sem 2 2010,
Sem 1 2011,
Sem 1 2012,
Sem 2 2012


City Campus


350H Fashion & Textiles


Sem 1 2013,
Sem 2 2013,
Sem 1 2014,
Sem 1 2015,
Sem 1 2016,
Sem 1 2017,
Sem 1 2018,
Sem 1 2019


City Campus


350H Fashion & Textiles


Sem 1 2016,
Sem 1 2017,
Sem 1 2018,
Sem 1 2019,
Sem 1 2020

Course Coordinator: Dr. Andrea Eckersley and Dr. Daphne Mohajer Va Pesaran

Course Coordinator Phone: 03 9925 9113 / 03 9925 3536

Course Coordinator Email: /

Course Coordinator Location: 511.03.08 / 008.12.007

Course Coordinator Availability: By appointment

Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities


Course Description

In this course you will develop critical skills in the gathering, analysis, assessment and presentation of knowledge in the theory and practice of fashion design, as well as its historical, social and cultural contexts. You will acquire advanced knowledge of current research projects in fashion design. 

Through this course you will develop a proposal for a research project on a topic of your own choosing in consultation with the lecturers.

This course encourages you to operate within the context of the growing body of academic and practice-based research about diverse phenomena related to fashion. You will be bridging classic research strategies such as reflective and generative writing, as well as activities undertaken through practice to develop new perspectives about fashion.

Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development

Program Learning Outcomes

As this is a program option course, only Course Learning Outcomes are applicable.


Course Learning Outcomes 

Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:

CLO 1: Gather, analyse, assess and present knowledge gained through research, in a form appropriate to the nature of the project, including as an oral/visual presentation and a formal, written proposal

CLO 2: Formulate research questions and develop a research methodology appropriate to the project

CLO 3: Summarize, analyse and evaluate current and/or historical research in the field, in the form of a contextual review (literature review and community of practice)

CLO 4: Critically reflect upon the relationship between fashion design research and fashion design practice

Overview of Learning Activities

Your learning will be facilitated via a range of in-class and online activities that will require both individual and collaborative engagement. Class activities promote your ability to explore design, investigate, analyse and understand fashion practice.

Overview of Learning Resources

RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems.

A list of recommended learning resources will be provided by your lecturer, including books, journal articles and web resources. You will also be expected to seek further resources relevant to the focus of your own learning.

RMIT Library provides extensive resources for fashion and textiles students.

Search the library and consult the Fashion and Textiles subject guides for more information.

The library also provides guides on academic referencing and assistance is available via phone, chat and email.


Overview of Assessment

You will be assessed on how well you meet the course learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes.

Assessment tasks are directly aligned with each Course Learning Outcome. They are as follows:

Assessment Task 1: Practice Research Preludes - Digital Poster (10%)
CLOs 1,2, 3

Assessment Task 2: Contextual Review Progress (10%)
CLOs 1, 4

Assessment Task 3: Contextual Review (40%)
CLOs 1, 2

Assessment Task 4: Practice Research Project Proposal (30%) and Practice Research Journal/ Annotated PDF (10%) ) (total 40%) 
CLOs 2, 3, 4


Feedback will be given on all assessment tasks.

If you have a long-term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or Equity Learning Services if you would like to find out more.

Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies, procedures and instructions.