Course Title: Project Risk Management
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Project Risk Management
Credit Points: 12
325H Property, Construction & Project Management
|Sem 1 2012,
Sem 1 2013,
Sem 1 2014,
Sem 1 2015,
Sem 1 2016,
Sem 1 2017,
Sem 1 2018
Course Coordinator: Dr Mehrdad Arashpour
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 1724
Course Coordinator Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
You should have satisfactorily completed the prerequisite course BUSM4168 Project Management Processes before you commence this course.
This course will develop your knowledge of risk management principles, processes and techniques. The objectives of this course are to provide you with the skills, knowledge necessary to: develop a robust risk management plan; utilise software for the purposes of risk analysis; and analyse and apply risk management industry standards to manage risk.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
This course will develop the following program learning outcomes
- Determine and apply knowledge of complex project management theory to your professional practice and/or further study
- Professionally communicate to a range of audiences, demonstrating in depth knowledge of the discipline and of the needs of diverse project management stakeholders
- Apply logical, critical and creative thinking to analyse, synthesise and apply theoretical knowledge, and technical skills, to formulate evidenced based solutions to industry problems or issues
- Collaborate effectively with others and demonstrate intellectual independence and autonomy to solve problems and/or address industry issues and imperatives
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
• Describe the fundamental principles of risk management and how these relate to the field of project management
• Analyse how risk management principles are enacted in diverse projects and project management contexts
• Select and apply risk management principles and processes to undertake a risk analysis
• Justify the determination of project risk
• Utilise risk analysis software to accurately determine risk
Overview of Learning Activities
Your learning in this course will consist of face to face lectures and workshops. Learning activities in this course will include class discussions, group work and computer based workshops.
Active and constructive participation in group discussions is expected. You will also be required to engage in reading of relevant literature and to carefully plan for assessment tasks.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems. Learning resources will comprise a combination of lecture notes, workshop material, reading list and case study material.
You will be expected to utilise library and electronic resources (as well as any other appropriate resources) to engage in professional reading of relevant project management literature related to risk management
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes. Assessment may include, but is not limited to, written report and/or verbal presentation.
Feedback will be provided throughout this semester in class and/or online discussion. Feedback will include individual and group feedback on class exercises and will also be provided via individual consultation.
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more.
An assessment charter (http://mams.rmit.edu.au/kh6a3ly2wi2h1.pdf ) summarises your responsibilities as an RMIT student as well as those of your teachers.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies and procedures which are described and referenced in a single document: http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=ln1kd66y87rc