Course Title: Sustainable Building Design Project
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Sustainable Building Design Project
Credit Points: 12
325H Property, Construction & Project Management
|Sem 1 2016,
Sem 2 2016,
Sem 1 2017,
Sem 2 2017,
Sem 1 2018,
Sem 2 2018,
Sem 1 2019
Course Coordinator: Priya Rajagopalan
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 2293
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: 8.8.57
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
This course focuses on the design of sustainable buildings. The course is primarily delivered as a practical studio whereby you will develop and apply a sustainable building design and energy efficient building rationale to produce a design for a sustainable building project. You will integrate and apply the knowledge, and skills developed through your learning so far in this program.
You will develop your ability, to develop building design strategies and solutions and gain advanced knowledge of integrated design processes, from initial design concept stage to project completion, and building products and materials used in sustainable buildings.
In this course you will work in teams that simulate integrated design practice in industry including the architectural, engineering, construction and management disciplines. You will use collaborative software tools and platforms to interact on-line and develop design proposals and building information models.
This course will equip you with the requisite skills and knowledge to undertake leadership and team roles in sustainable building projects, integrating people, design processes and state-of-the-art online information and communication technologies as used in commercial projects.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
In this course you will develop the following program learning outcomes:
- Critically analyse, synthesise and reflect on sustainable building theory and recent developments, both local and international, to extend and challenge knowledge and practice.
- Professionally communicate and justify sustainable building design principles, strategies, solutions and/or outcomes, engaging effectively with diverse stakeholders, including across the government and industry sectors.
- Adopt a building performance and systems approach, and apply specialist knowledge and technical skills to creatively address the diverse needs of sustainable building stakeholders.
- Design innovative building solutions responsive to sustainability performance targets, demonstrating independent and sound decision making related to your professional practice and the discipline.
- Provide strategic advice and utilise high level leadership and teamwork skills to plan and manage the implementation of projects which contribute to the sustainability performance of buildings, and the development of sustainable urban environments
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply analytical, design and communication skills to devise and justify design solutions for sustainable building projects
- Synthesise and apply knowledge of effective team management and leadership practice, and integrated design methods, to meet project objectives and deliverables
- Analyse building performance theory and apply a systems approach to formulate design solutions for sustainable building projects
- Independently lead and collaborate to undertake a sustainable building project, employing an integrated design proces
Overview of Learning Activities
Learning in this course will comprise a mixture of online project work and a residential workshop. The online component will require you to analyse and utilise sustainable building design literature, and collaborate with project team members in a virtual environment. The residential workshop will run as a design studio and will involve individual and group-based learning exercises.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems. A range of resources will be available to support your learning including learning guides and journal articles.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes.
Assessment may include, but is not limited to, reflective journal, individual and/or group assignments, project reports, development proposals, case study analyses and a team-based design project.
Feedback will be provided on all assessment tasks.
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more.
An assessment charter (http://mams.rmit.edu.au/kh6a3ly2wi2h1.pdf ) summarises your responsibilities as an RMIT student as well as those of your teachers.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies and procedures which are described and referenced in a single document: http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=ln1kd66y87rc .