Course Title: Advanced Heat Transfer
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Advanced Heat Transfer
Credit Points: 12.00
Course Coordinator: Dr Bahman Shabani
Course Coordinator Phone: 9925 4353
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
In this course you will study the theories and applications of conduction, convection and radiation heat transfer methods at an advanced level. The course will help you obtain the knowledge and develop the skills required to design, assess, and analyse (e.g. analytical, numerical and experimental approaches) heat transfer systems for industrial and real life applications (e.g. heat exchangers, extended surfaces, measurement systems/techniques) as well as research and development purposes. The course will also cover non-standard as well as modern systems/materials and applications (e.g. non-standard insulations, nano-fluids, porous media, micro-scale, micro scale heat transfer, multiphase, multi-components, and etc.).
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
This course contributes to the following Program Learning Outcomes:
1. Needs, Context and Systems
- Describe, investigate and analyse complex engineering systems and associated issues (using systems thinking and modelling techniques)
2. Problem Solving and Design
- Develop creative and innovative solutions to engineering problems
- Develop and operate within a hazard and risk framework appropriate to engineering activities
- Apply understanding of mathematics, natural, physical, engineering, and computer sciences
- Initiate, plan, and lead or manage engineering activities
- Apply engineering approaches to the conduct and measurement of engineering projects
- Demonstrate effective team membership and team leadership
- Communicate in a variety of different ways to collaborate with other people
- Display a personal sense of responsibility for your work
- Demonstrate orderly management of self, and professional conduct
- Be aware of knowledge development and research direction with the engineering discipline
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs)
On completion of this course you should be able to:
- Identify and elaborate the fundamentals of heat transfer systems/problems
- Develop innovative solutions to related industrial heat transfer problems or answer heat transfer-related research questions in known and unknown contexts.
- Model mathematically (can include using specialised software tools) and/or experimentally heat transfer systems/problems
- Conduct systematic research studies on heat transfer systems and address related research questions
- Recommend heat transfer systems designs, proposals and/or R&D activities and communicate these to various stakeholders.
- Demonstrate effective team membership and team leadership in solving heat transfer problems
Overview of Learning Activities
- Attending the lectures delivered on the theories and applications of heat transfer.
- Participating in the class and/or online discussions on various types of heat transfer problems
- Attending and reporting on a laboratory activity designed to investigate a heat transfer problem/system
- Solving problems relating to heat transfer
- Working within a group to complete and report on a project (e.g. a research or a simulation project) relating to heat transfer
Overview of Learning Resources
Guidance on resource material will be available online through the myRMIT Blackboard. These resources include, prescribed text books, journal papers, and internet resources, as well as lecture notes and other material provided through the myRMIT Blackboard and mainly available through the RMIT website/library
Overview of Assessment
X This course has no hurdle requirements.
☐ All hurdle requirements for this course are indicated clearly in the assessment regime that follows, against the relevant assessment task(s) and all have been approved by the College Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning & Teaching).
Assessment tasksAssessment Task 1: Assignment/Test
Weighting 20% This assessment covers CLOs 1, 2, 3 Assessment Task 2: Assignment/Test
Weighting 20% This assessment covers CLOs 1, 2, 3 Assessment Task 3: Assignment/Test Weighting 20% This assessment covers CLOs 1, 2, 3 Assessment Task 4: Project Report and Presentation Weighting 40% This assessment covers CLOs 2, 4, 5, and 6