Professor Robert and Josephine Shanks Undergraduate Scholarship
If you will be in your honours year in 2018 studying science, engineering or technology and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, this scholarship could provide financial assistance towards your study costs.
Value and duration
The scholarship provides $7000 for one year.
Number of scholarships available
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa holder
- be entering your honours year at RMIT in Semester 1 2018
- be enrolled full-time in the standard semester 1 and 2 in the field of science, engineering or technology
- have a Grade Point Average (GPA) to date of 3.0 or higher
- be intending to continue your education with a research degree in 2019.
How to apply
Complete the online application by the close date. Multiple applications will not be considered; only your first application will be assessed.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a complete online application. Partial applications will not be assessed.
Ensure that you have your supporting documentation ready to upload in order to complete your application. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
You will also need:
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a RMIT academic to support the statements you have made in your application (diploma applicants my use a recent teacher as a referee), dated no more than three months ago to support the statements you have made in your application. To assist the academic or teacher, provide them with Writing a Scholarship Letter of Recommendation for a Student (PDF 156kb, 1p) for tips and guidance.
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. Once you have completed a question online, you cannot go back and modify your response(s). The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Discuss your academic performance, in particular discuss any achievements or significant academic results.
- Discuss your passion for studying in your chosen field, including the steps you have taken to achieve your educational goals.
- What are your future plans and career aspirations?
- Describe your intended honours thesis project.
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Applications now open.
Applications close 11:59PM Sunday 19 November 2017. No late applications will be accepted.
Terms and conditions
View the Coursework Scholarships Office’s Scholarships and Grants Terms and Conditions (PDF 464kb, 30p).
This scholarship is made possible by the generous donation from Professor Robert and Josephine Shanks. Robert and Josephine are RMIT alumni and are committed to encouraging Australians to enter into academic research. The scholarship aims to provide support to students undertaking their honours year in the fields of science, engineering or technology.
Alongside this scholarship, they have supported a scholarship since 2009 which aims to attract the very best quality PhD researchers to science, engineering or technology at RMIT University.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account by 31 March 2018. Only successful candidates will be contacted. If you have not received an offer by 31 March 2018, your application has been unsuccessful.
Ready to Apply?