Mr Alan Pears
Senior Industry Fellow
School of Global, Urban & Social Studies
+61 3 9925 2328
College of Design and Social Context
Alan is a Senior Industry Fellow at RMIT. He was previously an Adjunct Professor at RMIT, and taught part-time in the environment program from 2002 until 2015.
Alan has worked in the sustainable energy and environment fields since the late 1970s for community groups, government and the private sector.
While working for the Victorian government in the 1980s, he helped develop and implement programs such as the Home Energy Advisory Service, public information and education, appliance energy labelling and mandatory building insulation regulations.
Since 1991, Alan has been an environmental consultant, and has been involved in building energy and environmental rating and regulation, green building projects, educational software, green appliance development, industrial and business energy and environmental management, and policy analysis.
Alan is a highly regarded analyst, consultant and commentator on sustainable energy and climate policy, and has written or peer reviewed many articles in specialist media such as www.theconversation.edu.au Energy Policy and ReNew magazine, as well as other academic journals chapters of books and major reports.
Alan was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2009 for his contribution to environmental and energy policy. He has also received a number of awards from industry associations and RMIT media awards.
As a Senior Industry Fellow, Alan presents guest lectures in a range of courses, contributes to seminars, workshops and conferences and mentors students.
Alan is a member of the University’s Sustainability Committee.
Examples of recent advisory roles
2015- ClimateWorks Australia: Member, Expert Advisory Panel
2015 Member of Reference Panel for development of Victorian Government Energy Efficiency and Productivity Strategy
2015- Australian Conservation Foundation: Member 60L Green Building Management Committee
2012- APEC – various Low Carbon Model Town projects including Koh Samui strategy (2012), Green Building indicators (2014), LCMT study group, industry indicators (2015)
2012, 2013 Member of Independent Assessment Panel for Energy Efficiency Information Grants scheme, Dept of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
2011-12 Member advisory group for revision of Your Home information resources for Australian government
2011- RMIT: member Sustainability Committee, judge RMIT Green Innovators awards
2010- Energy Efficiency Council: Hon senior policy adviser and member of judging panel for annual awards
2010- Climate Alliance: Member Advisory Board
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) (Monash University)
- Diploma of Education (Monash University)
Through his consulting practice and links to community and professional organisations, Alan has worked on many projects in the clean energy, planning, climate policy, green building and public education fields.
- 2015- Senior Industry Fellow RMIT and Associate Consultant Buro North
- 2003-2015 Half time senior lecturer, RMIT Environment & Planning
- 1991-2015 Director and senior consultant, Sustainable Solutions Pty Ltd
- 1983-1991 various management, orogram development and policy analysis roles in the Victorian government energy/industry department
- 1980-1983 Manager Energy Information Centre, gas & Fuel Corporation of Victoria
- 1978-1980 Part time senior tutor, physical sciences, Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences
- 1976-1978 Community educator, Learning Exchange, East Malvern Vic
- 1974-1975 Secondary school science and maths teacher, Syndal High School, Victoria
- 2014 Deni Greene Memorial Award for Environmental Professional of the year
- 2006-14 Various RMIT University Media Awards:
- 2007 (Arts and Culture) and 2011 (Industry Engagement ) Media Star of the Year
- Most years 2006-2014: runner-up or commendation
- 2012Australian Alliance to Save Energy All-Star Award for outstanding achievement in energy efficiency
- Your Future Home Top 50 Sustainable Leaders, ‘Australian Living’ website
- 2011 Energy Efficiency Council Energy Efficiency Award
- 2009 Member of Order of Australia (AM) for contribution to the environment through development of policy and design and public education in energy efficiency and sustainability
- 2008 WME Magazine Environment Industry Leader: Energy and carbon
- Judge BHP Billiton internal environment awards
- 2003 Centenary Medal for “outstanding service to public policy on climate change and the environment”
- 2000 Award from Sustainable Energy Industry Association for lifetime contribution to the industry
- 1979 Robin Boyd Award (Royal Australian Institute of Architects) as co-editor and co-author of Seeds for Change: creatively confronting the energy crisis
Alan has numerous publications across a wide range of publication types, or as specific reports.
Major projects since 2008 have included:
- Member project evaluation panel, ARENA
- Member of project teams from ANU, QUT and VU involved in development of educational resources for undergraduate engineering courses on energy efficiency
- Co-author of extensive industry energy information resources for Commonwealth Government Energy Efficiency Exchange website – with ANU
- Member of project team for updating of STEPS building sustainability rating tool for Victorian councils
- Numerous submissions to public inquiries, discussion papers and policy development processes related to energy and climate policy issues
- Member Independent Review Panel for Energy Efficiency Information Grants for SMEs
- Commissioned paper on Low Emission Frankston for Frankston Council
- Facilitated a series of workshops on energy efficiency for VECCI
- Major addresses to professional and community groups including International appliance efficiency workshop, 2013, Tertiary Education Facilities Managers Association climate conference, Melbourne Forum (case study of 60L Green Building)
- Algorithm development for Aust Greenhouse Calculator for EPA Vic: most sophisticated household emission calculator globally
- Team member, development of Victorian Residential Mandatory (energy) disclosure scheme
- Input to Energy Efficiency Opportunities workshops, case study Energy Mass Balances, general strategic and technical advice
- Review of training needs for energy efficiency assessment in industry (with GHD) for DRET, Aust Government
- Strategic advice on climate and sustainability issues to a Victorian water retailer, several local councils, DEWHA and ABCB
- Feasibility study for creation of a Yarra Energy Foundation (with Deni Greene Consulting)
- Input to revision of Australian Standard on Energy Auditing
- Member working group on phase-out of high greenhouse impact hot water systems
Major addresses to professional and community groups including Bureau of Meteorology training, Moreland Energy Foundation training, various councils including Bayside, Whitehorse, Hepburn, Darebin, Port Phillip councils