Emergencies and incidents
In the event of an accident, injury or damage while undertaking a WIL activity, the student must complete the host organisation’s incident/accident report form and lodge copies with:
- workplace supervisor;
- WIL and/or course coordinator; and
- Health and Safety Officer, RMIT Human Resources.
If the placement organisation does not have an incident/accident report form, then the student must fill out an Incident/Hazard Report form (PDF 49kb, 1p).
To do this they should follow the Hazard and Incident Investigation and Reporting procedure and lodge copies with the RMIT staff mentioned above.
Students are obliged to adhere to the prescribed safety policies set by the University and the partner organisation. Student responsibilities include:
- following safe working procedures and instructions
- adopting safe work and study practices
- ensuring any hazardous conditions, near misses and injuries are reported to their supervisor/teacher/host
- ensuring their behaviour does not pose a risk to the health and safety of any person
- ensuring they do not interfere with or misuse materials, equipment or property.
Where the partner organisation is the issue
If the nature of the incident makes it difficult to be raised within the partner organisation, such as sexual harassment or bullying, a student should refer the matter to their WIL practitioner at RMIT.
RMIT Security Office:
Office hours: +61 3 9925 3333
After hours: +61 3 9925 3999
(Monday to Friday: 5.30pm–8.30am Weekends/public holidays: 24 hours) This referral number is for students who need urgent help and are not sure who to contact.
Medical, safety and fire emergency dial: 000
Family and children violence: 1 8001567
Note that all calls must be made in Vietnamese or a translator must be used.
On RMIT premises:
Hanoi: Tel: +84 4 3934 0666
HCMC: Tel: +84 83 829 8424