Design Standards Brief
RMIT University’s Design Standards sent out the minimum requirements for the design and construction of all RMIT facilities. The Design Standards must be referred to when designing and specifying any new facilities or refurbishing existing buildings.
The intent of the Design Standards is to help create sustainable facilities that will provide the best possible environment for learning and research. The Standards are intended to provide designers with clear performance criteria to apply to the design of new facilities, while enabling room for innovative outcomes that enhance the built environment.
The Design Standards apply to all new and refurbished buildings and construction projects across RMIT owned or leased premises.
Volume 1 Introduction (2015)
Volume 2 Architecture and Planning (2016)
Volume 3 Electrical Services (2015)
Volume 4 Fire Protection Services (2015)
Volume 5 Hydraulic Services (2015)
Volume 6 Mechanical Systems (2015)
Volume 7 Vertical Transport (2015)
Volume 8 Building Management Systems (2016)
Volume 9 Electronic Security (2016)
Volume 10 Communications (2017)
a. Communications Pre-Occupancy Checklist
(DOC 114KB 4p)
b. ITS Floor Checklist (DOC 113KB 4p)
c. IP Allocation Spreadsheet for Services Template
d. TE Highband Patch by Exception Addendum
(DOC 28KB 3p)
e. Patch by Exception Record Template
Volume 11 Audio Visual
- AV Detail Drawings (PDF 574KB)
- Converged AV Deployment Guide (PDF 2.6MB)
- Dispensation Request Form (PDF 133KB)
- AV Elevation Drawings (PDF 363KB)
- AV Schematic Drawings (PDF 628KB)
- AV Equipment Schedule (PDF 201KB)
- AV Support Acceptance Testing Form (PDF 218KB)
- AV Asset Decommissioning & Disposal Form (PDF 130KB)
- AV Standard Equipment List (PDF 272KB)
- AV Test Script (Standard AV) (PDF 342KB)
- AV Standards Amendment History (PDF 203KB)
- AV Test Script (Converged AV) (PDF 334KB)
- Room Audio Measurements (PDF 180KB)
- Unified Communications – Video Conferencing Endpoint Configuration (PDF 88KB)
Volume 12 Landscape (pending)
This volume of the Design Standards is currently under review. Please contact the RMIT University Property Services representative for your project for guidance on Landscape.
RMIT Retail Tenancy Design Guidelines
Please highlight text and paste in your browser for RMIT Retail Tenancy Guidelines Issue 1 (PDF, 4MB 38P): http://mams.rmit.edu.au/rayxznzwdx0d.PDF
Designers are required to confirm compliance and justify any proposed deviations by completing the Design Standards Checklist (XML 97.3KB).
Where compliance is achieved against a clause, this should be indicated via selecting "Yes" in the compliance column. A comment may be included providing further detail as to how compliance has been achieved.
Where compliance is not achieved "No" should be selected and a comment must be included providing a justification for the deviation.
All deviations must be approved by RMIT prior to commencing design. Unless a robust justification is provided for deviations from the Standards, it is unlikely that approval will be given.
Other standards and guidelines
- Change register and procedure (pending)
- Contractor Safety Management System
- Retail Fit Out Guidelines (pending).
- Section 1 – Administrative and Contractual (PDF 1882KB 106p)
- Section 2 – Architecture and Planning 2009 (PDF 2.62MB 145p)
- Section 3 – Installation of Lifts (PDF 85KB 7p)
- Section 4 – Energy Management (PDF 239KB 29p)
- Section 5 – Mechanical Services (PDF 95KB 9p)
- Section 6 – Electrical Services (PDF 186KB 22p)
- Section 7 – Hydraulic Services (PDF 97KB 9p)
- Section 8 – Fire Services (PDF 215KB 27p)
- Section 9 – Building Automation system and Automatic Controls (PDF 565 KB 54p)
- Section 10 - Communications (PDF 2.3MB 66p)
- a. Communications Pre-Occupancy Checklist
(DOC 114KB 4p)
- b. ITS Floor Checklist (DOC 113KB 4p)
- c. IP Allocation Spreadsheet for Services Template
- d. TE Highband Patch by Exception Addendum
(DOC 28KB 3p)
- e. Patch by Exception Record Template
- Section 11 – Audio Visual (PDF 2550KB 82p)
- a. AMX Design Guidelines (PDF, 5.95MB)
- Section 12 – Electronic Security (PDF 158KB 20p)
- Section 13 – Acoustics (PDF 158KB 13p)
- Section 14 – Design in Lighting Systems (PDF 101KB 10p)
- Section 15 – Instructions to Contractors (PDF 372KB 3p)
- Section 16 – Occupational, Health and Safety, 138KB 12p)