Design Standards Brief
RMIT University’s Design Standards sent out the minimum requirements for the design and construction of all RMIT facilities. The Design Standards must be referred to when designing and specifying any new facilities or refurbishing existing buildings.
The intent of the Design Standards is to help create sustainable facilities that will provide the best possible environment for learning and research. The Standards are intended to provide designers with clear performance criteria to apply to the design of new facilities, while enabling room for innovative outcomes that enhance the built environment.
The Design Standards apply to all new and refurbished buildings and construction projects across RMIT owned or leased premises.
Volume 1 Introduction (2015)
Volume 2 Architecture and Planning (2016)
Volume 3 Electrical Services (2015)
Volume 4 Fire Protection Services (2015)
Volume 5 Hydraulic Services (2015)
Volume 6 Mechanical Systems (2015)
Volume 7 Vertical Transport (2015)
Volume 8 Building Management Systems (2016)
Volume 9 Electronic Security (2016)
Volume 10 Communications (2017)
a. Communications Pre-Occupancy Checklist
(DOC 114kb 4p)
b. ITS Floor Checklist (DOC 113kb 4p)
c. IP Allocation Spreadsheet for Services Template
d. TE Highband Patch by Exception Addendum
(DOC 28kb 3p)
e. Patch by Exception Record Template
Volume 11 Audio Visual (2015)
a. AV Detail Drawings (pdf, 531kb, 2p)
b. AV System Schematics (pdf, 624kb, 10p)
c. AV Equipment Schedule (pdf, 31kb, 1p)
d. AV Support Acceptance Testing Form (pdf, 76kb, 5p)
e. AV Asset Decommissioning and Disposal form (pdf, 35kb, 1p)
f. AV Standard Equipment List (pdf, 40kb, 2p)
g. AV Test Script (pdf, 47kb, 5p)
h. Standards Amendment History 2.21 (pdf, 32kb, 1p)
i. Unified Communications – Video Conferencing Endpoint Configuration (pdf, 88kb, 9p)
Volume 12 Landscape (pending)
This volume of the Design Standards is currently under review. Please contact the RMIT University Property Services representative for your project for guidance on Landscape.
RMIT Retail Tenancy Design Guidelines
Please highlight text and paste in your browser for RMIT Retail Tenancy Guidelines Issue 1 (PDF, 4MB 38P): http://mams.rmit.edu.au/rayxznzwdx0d.pdf
Designers are required to confirm compliance and justify any proposed deviations by completing the Design Standards Checklist (xml, 97.3kb).
Where compliance is achieved against a clause, this should be indicated via selecting "Yes" in the compliance column. A comment may be included providing further detail as to how compliance has been achieved.
Where compliance is not achieved "No" should be selected and a comment must be included providing a justification for the deviation.
All deviations must be approved by RMIT prior to commencing design. Unless a robust justification is provided for deviations from the Standards, it is unlikely that approval will be given.
Other standards and guidelines
- Change register and procedure (pending)
- Contractor Safety Management System
- Retail Fit Out Guidelines (pending).
- Section 1 – Administrative and Contractual (pdf, 1882kb, 106p)
- Section 2 – Architecture and Planning 2009 (pdf, 2.62mb, 145p)
- Section 3 – Installation of Lifts (pdf, 85kb, 7p)
- Section 4 – Energy Management (pdf, 239kb, 29p)
- Section 5 – Mechanical Services (pdf, 95kb, 9p)
- Section 6 – Electrical Services (pdf, 186kb, 22p)
- Section 7 – Hydraulic Services (pdf, 97kb, 9p)
- Section 8 – Fire Services (pdf, 215kb, 27p)
- Section 9 – Building Automation system and Automatic Controls (pdf, 565 kb, 54p)
- Section 10 - Communications (pdf, 2.3mb, 66p)
- a. Communications Pre-Occupancy Checklist
(DOC 114kb 4p)
- b. ITS Floor Checklist (DOC 113kb 4p)
- c. IP Allocation Spreadsheet for Services Template
- d. TE Highband Patch by Exception Addendum
(DOC 28kb 3p)
- e. Patch by Exception Record Template
- Section 11 – Audio Visual (pdf, 2550kb, 82p)
- a. AMX Design Guidelines (PDF, 5.95MB)
- Section 12 – Electronic Security (pdf, 158kb, 20p)
- Section 13 – Acoustics (pdf, 158kb, 13p)
- Section 14 – Design in Lighting Systems (pdf, 101kb, 10p)
- Section 15 – Instructions to Contractors (pdf, 372kb, 3p)
- Section 16 – Occupational, Health and Safety, 138kb, 12p)