Credit transfer, RPL and RCC

What is credit?

Credit transfer is the recognition of previously completed formal training and/or qualifications.

Formal learning is defined as having taken place through a structured program of learning and assessment that leads to the full or partial attainment of a recognised AQF qualification or other formally recognised qualification.

What is RPL?

Recognition of prior learning (RPL) is the recognition of skills and knowledge gained through life and work experiences and through non-accredited training (e.g. professional development sessions; short courses).

RPL is assessed and processed differently for higher education, research and vocational education students.

Higher education and research students seeking RPL must supply sufficient documentary evidence to support their statements. This evidence should demonstrate how they have met the published learning outcomes of the course for which RPL is being sought. RPL can only be approved for specific courses – EXTL and AICT codes cannot be used.

See also: Vocational education RPL and RCC and Higher Education RPL Assessment Form.

What is RCC?

Recognition of current competency (RCC) is used when an applicant/student needs to demonstrate continued competency in a unit of competency they have previously completed. RCC may be required for licensing purposes in areas where skill requirements are regularly updated, e.g. electrical licences. If these conditions are not met the student should be apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL) or credit transfer.

See also: Vocational education RPL and RCC.

What are Masters Exemptions?

Masters exemptions are assessed on application to the University and are intended to identify students with a high level of knowledge of the discipline area they are commencing study in. Masters exemptions from 2016 will be identified via the MX grade.

What are intermediate awards?

Intermediate awards are used for students who wish to graduate with a lower, related, award than the one they are enrolled in eg a Masters student who wishes to take out the related Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate.

School/college staff should use the Intermediate award activation request form for these applications.

If you are not able to use this online form please email with the subject line ‘Request: Hard copy intermediate award form required’.

Give it to me straight – what do I need to know before I assess credit?

Credit must meet the guidelines set out within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The table below should be used as a guide. Where courses are at a higher AQF level to the program these courses may be used as credit into the corresponding AQF level qualification (i.e. WAM courses). Staff should also ensure they are not approving too much credit as this will impact the students eligibility to graduate and access to HESA funding. The Credit policy provides information on the minimum amount of study required to be eligible for an RMIT Award. See example limits in the table below.

Program type

Max credit permitted from this level of study (in formal agreements)

Program can not be used for credit











AQF 4 and above


Foundation Studies

AQF 4 and above


Certificate I

AQF 4 and above


Certificate II

AQF 4 and above


Certificate III

AQF 4 and above


Certificate IV

AQF 8 and above



96 credit points

AQF 9 and above


Advanced Diploma

144 credit points

AQF 9 and above


Associate Degree

192 credit points

AQF 9 and above

Bachelor Degree

AQF 9 and above


Bachelor Degree
with Honours


Double Degree

Graduate Certificate


Graduatre Diploma


Masters by Coursework


NOTE: Credit cannot be granted for study taken in undergraduate programs to vocational education programs.


A students’ previous study must have been completed within ten years of their credit application. Applications in disciplines where the body of knowledge and practice changes rapidly and where the applicant meets the ten year rule for study but has not maintained sustained practice within the field may be rejected by the Assessor.

Exceptions to the ten year rule may be sought in exceptional circumstances by submission to the Education Committee.

How do I manage internal credit?

If a students’ previous study was undertaken at RMIT then they may be picked up in the higher education RIC report. The RIC report identifies students in their first semester of higher education programs who have successfully completed courses in the same career at RMIT in earlier semesters. The RIC report is for higher education only.

Applications which are likely to be picked up by this report will be returned to the school/college for additional information or action via the RIC process.

How do I manage block credit?

Block credit is available in higher education programs only and is credit granted on the basis of a credit agreement, so that the assessment of a student’s individual previous courses is not needed: rather, the student is granted credit for a substantial number of courses on the basis of evidence that they have completed a pathway qualification. Block credit may consist of specified and/or unspecified credit, and will typically be for all courses required for one or more teaching periods of the RMIT program.

What is specified and unspecified credit?

Specified credit transfer

Specified credit transfer is credit granted towards specific courses within a vocational education or higher education program structure.

When a course completed at another institution matches the learning outcomes of an RMIT course exactly then you would grant specified credit transfer to the student.


Unspecified credit transfer

Unspecified credit transfer can be granted and used for elective courses within higher education programs.

If a course completed at another institution does not exactly match an RMIT course but the RMIT program includes electives then you could grant unspecified credit transfer in place of the elective courses.

Unspecified credit transfer granted for study undertaken outside of RMIT is identified by EXTL course codes. Each EXTL course can have a credit point value up to 96 points.

Use the appropriate offering from the table below.

EXTL course codes

RMIT subject area

URGD catalogue number

PGRD catalogue number

OUA catalogue number

Course name





Approved Studies 1





Approved Studies 2





Approved Studies 3





Approved Studies 4





Approved Studies 5





Approved Studies 6





Approved Studies 7





Approved Studies 8

If the granted unspecified credit was based on previous study undertaken at RMIT within the same higher education career then the AICT course code should be used. Each AICT course can have a credit point value up to 96 points.

AICT course codes

RMIT subject area

UGRD catalogue number

PGRD catalogue number

Course name




App Internal Credit Transfer 1




App Internal Credit Transfer 2




App Internal Credit Transfer 3




App Internal Credit Transfer 4




App Internal Credit Transfer 5

If you are granting unspecified credit for multiple courses then you can use one unspecified credit transfer code and change the number of credit points to reflect the total credit points granted.


What does a student need to provide with their application?

The Credit transfer and higher education recognition of prior learning application form should be used for both higher education (HE) students applying for both credit transfer and RPL and VE students applying for credit transfer only. In addition HE students will need to complete the Higher Education application for recognition of prior learning (RPL) assessment document. Students whose previous studies were at RMIT do not need to provide supporting documentation – staff should access their academic record for the purpose of assessing credit.

Where the basis of credit is studies undertaken outside RMIT or RPL students should provide supporting documentation such as:

  • a certified copy of an Academic Transcript with final grades
  • a certified copy of a Statement of Attainment .
  • an explanation of the grading scheme
  • course outlines detailing content, learning outcomes and assessment requirements.

What do I as the School/College have to do?

1. Check the form is complete

Credit Transfer Form Checklist

Section 1 & 2 – Student and Program Information

  • all student information details
  • all program information details completed
  • student signature.

Section 3 - Credit Transfer

  • all prior studies information
  • RMIT subject and catalogue codes – course name, credit points or contact hours, credit type (EX or BX)
  • School/college authorisation signature and school stamp
  • transcript or Statement of Attainment (Not required if prior studies at RMIT)
  • course guides (if required)

Section 5 – Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

  • basis for credit indicated
  • RMIT course name, subject and catalogue codes
  • School/college authorisation signature and school stamp
  • RPL assessment documentation completed by student.

Supporting documentation

Students whose previous study was undertaken outside of RMIT must submit documentation in support of their application. This could include:

  • a certified copy of an academic transcript with final grades
  • a Statement of Attainment
  • course outlines showing learning outcomes
  • grading structure if not shown on transcript

Credit can only be granted for vocational education courses where the national codes are identical or regarded as equivalent. RPL should be considered where national codes do not match but the student is able to demonstrate their competency. Schools/colleges are able to apply to waive RPL fees.

2. Forward the form to the Assessor

Complete applications, and all supporting documentation, should be forwarded to the appropriate credit assessor for the program or courses in your school/college.

3. Notify student of the outcome

Use the appropriate email template to inform the student of the outcome of their credit assessment. You should do this as soon as possible after approval to provide the student with the most time to change their enrolment.

4. Forward the form to the ARG

Approved credit and higher education RPL applications must be scanned and emailed to for processing onto the student record. Transcript and/or statements of attainment must be included for credit transfer applications. RPL assessment documents are not required but may be provided if this suits your school/college processes.

What do I as the assessor have to do?

For a student to receive credit for a previously completed course that course must be equivalent in content, learning outcomes and assessment requirements to the RMIT course they wish to receive credit for.

It is important to ensure that the student is only granted credit for courses students have successfully completed. This can be checked by viewing the academic transcript. If the grading system for the previous institution is not clear then you can either search for the grading structure on the institutions’ website or ask the student to provide it. If the course has not been successfully completed then the student is not eligible for credit.

Students should submit a course outline for their previous study. If the student has not submitted a course outline you can choose to look the course up on the previous institutions’ website or contact the student for more information.

If assessing Vocational education credit applications ensure that the national codes are identical or regarded as equivalent or clearly stated as approved credit within the training package.

What does credit mean for the student?

Onshore international students

If a student indicates that they are an international student studying in Australia you must assess whether their credit application will reduce the duration of their study. If yes then must be contacted to update the student’s eCoE (visa documentation). This is a requirement of the ESOS Act 2000.

Students enrolled in courses for which they are seeking credit

If a student indicates that they are currently enrolled in the course(s) for which they are seeking credit you should let them know that unless they withdraw from the course before the relevant census date they will be liable for the course fees. From January 2018, withdrawal from courses students have been awarded credit for will be automated. It is still the student’s responsibility to ensure that they are withdrawn from the course prior to the relevant census date.

Do I have to approve credit?

No. If your program does not provide for credit or RPL, or the student has undertaken concurrent study that was not previously approved you do not have to approve credit.

Students may still seek review of, and appeal denied credit applications.

Who can I contact for questions? How can I get an urgent credit application processed?


Priority requests

Credit transfer applications will be actioned as priority if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Credit required to complete program
  • Credit relates to visa issues
  • Amendment to existing credit
  • Result of a successful review of a credit decision

 To mark your Credit Transfer application as a priority use the following email title:

URGENT credit request:[Student Id] [School]

Scan and send to . You should receive confirmation within one to two working days.