31 March 2016
Take control of your future
Get your finances sorted by taking advantage of the ATO’s online services.
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has a bunch of online services to help you manage your finances so you can reap the rewards later!
Here are the ATO’s top three tips to get your finances on track:
1. Get a TFN
Your tax file number (TFN) is your personal reference number in the tax and super systems. You will need a TFN when you start working and to get access to the ATO’s online services. If you haven’t already applied for a TFN you can apply for one at a participating Australia Post retail outlet or an ATO shopfront.
2. Register for myGov and link to the ATO
myGov is a fast and simple way to access government services online, including the ATO. It is a one stop shop for everything relating to your tax and super. Once you’ve linked your myGov account to the ATO, you can:
- Lodge your tax return
- Check the progress of your tax return
- Manage your superannuation
- View your Higher education loan programme (HELP) or Trade support loans (TSL) account balances
- Make a payment or create a payment plan
- View and update your contact details.
3. Download the ATO app
The ATO app has a tonne of features to help get your finances sorted. Download it today so you can:
- Access online services, including myTax, to lodge your tax returns.
- Keep track of your work-related expenses all in one place using the myDeductions tool. Instead of keeping track of all those tiny receipts you’ve squished into your wallet, you simply take a photo of the receipt and myDeductions stores it safely for you till you need to lodge your tax return.
- Enrol and use your voiceprint for fast, easy and secure access to online services, then use your voice to verify your identity the next time you use the app or phone the ATO.
- Search for any lost super you might have.
For more information about all the online tools the ATO has on offer go to ato.gov.au/onlineservices.