PhD Scholarship in Economics or Finance
This is a scholarship is being offered in line with the RMIT Diversity and Inclusion framework, with particular attention to RMIT Gender Equality Action Plan. The candidate will complete a thesis-with-publication within three years.
Value and duration
$32,000 stipend per year (+ fee waiver) over the duration of three years.
Number of scholarships available
To be considered for scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing either:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honours
- meet RMIT’s entry requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy
How to apply
This is a scholarship is being offered in line with the RMIT Diversity and Inclusion framework, with particular attention to the RMIT Gender Equality Action Plan. We encourage those to apply that identify with one or all of the following:
- Identifies as female
Apply for a PhD program starting in 2019 at RMIT using the following link:
Email the following to HDR coordinator Economics, Finance Marketing: A/Prof Peter Sivey email@example.com
- A detailed CV
- Certified copies of relevant academic transcripts from your undergraduate studies and postgraduate studies where applicable.
- Copies of any published or submitted papers where applicable.
- Proof of English proficiency if international
- A research proposal outlining synthesis of relevant literature, proposed research design, and analytical techniques.
- A separate document addressing the following selection criteria:
- Evidence of research output including publications, conference contributions and/or technical reports in the field of Economics or Finance.
- Ability to generate alternative funding for projects/academic travel/internships through effective liaison with industry and government.
- Ability to work autonomously whilst displaying a strong commitment to work in a team environment, including the demonstrated ability to confidently and effectively work with colleagues, project team leaders, and industry partners.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage varying workloads and respond to changing priorities as required.
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills as evidenced in the mandatory research proposal.
- Demonstrated skills in appropriate research methods and analyses as evidenced in transcripts and the mandatory research proposal.
- Demonstrated conceptual skills as evidenced in the mandatory research proposal.
Applications are now open.
November 30, 2018
Terms and conditions
RMIT's standard research scholarship terms and conditions (PDF 327KB 10p) will apply to this scholarship. However note the allowances for this scholarship are specifically $32,000 (plus fee waiver) per year for up to three years and the additional allowances stated in the terms and conditions (PDF 327KB 10p) are not applicable.
This scholarship is being offered in line with the RMIT Diversity and Inclusion framework, with particular attention to the RMIT Gender Equality Action Plan. We encourage those to apply that identify with one or all of the following:
- Identifies as female
This scholarship is for any PhD candidate in the areas of Economics, Finance or Marketing. The Candidature Summary and Key Accountabilities set out below describe some of the expectations for PhD students studying with this scholarship.
- Conduct a review of relevant literature on a research topic in Economics or Finance.
- Present a conceptual framework that underpins the synthesised research questions and/or hypotheses in this project.
- Design studies to answer research questions
- Analyse data and write-up results in a PhD thesis-with-publication format.
- Disseminate findings by actively pursuing journal publications, attending conferences, engaging with media, and approaching government or industry organisations who have an interest in this research topic.
- Contribute to securing funding for research.
- Conduct a PhD research project that contributes to the overarching research undertaken at the school of Economics or Finance.
- Collaborate with supervisors.
- Attend School of Economics, Finance, and Marketing and College of Business workshops, seminars, HDR conference, professional development, and social events as evidenced in the meeting logs.
- Actively pursue journal publications together with the supervisory team as evidenced by drafting and submissions and/or publications.
- Successfully pass yearly milestone reviews of the work presented in the College of Business HDR conferences.
A/Prof Peter Sivey
+61 3 99251321