RMIT Award for Innovative Research Supervision
The following RMIT Research Awards will be presented at the Enabling Capability Platform Engaging for Impact 2019 event (18-20 February 2019)
The RMIT Award for Innovative Research Supervision is established to recognise HDR supervisors who have made a distinctive or innovative contribution to research training practice at RMIT.
Selection of award recipients is by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation based on recommendations of the Awards Panel. The Award will be made annually and be presented at the RMIT Research Awards ceremony at the Engaging for Impact 2019 event (18-20 February 2019).
Nominations are restricted to one category per nominee, however the Research Awards Panel has the discretion to consider any eligible nominations for more than one category of award.
In order to be eligible nominees must:
- Be research-active academic staff who have had a substantive RMIT appointment, normally 0.4 FTE or above, for a minimum of 2 years as at the closing date for the awards OR
- Be a current research-active academic staff member until the end of 2018, for those on fixed-term contracts.
- Be a category 1 registered supervisor currently engaged in research supervision at RMIT.
- Have a supervision record of at least 5 HDR completions
- Have an overall positive ratio of HDR completions to non-completions.
Previous recipients of an RMIT Award for Innovative Research Supervision are not eligible to apply.
Nomination and documentation
This award is open to all staff who meet the eligibility criteria. Staff must be nominated by an RMIT academic staff member (with the nominee’s consent). Nominations must include the following:
- a completed Nomination form addressing the selection criteria
- endorsement from the relevant Dean/Head of School
- a supporting statement which addresses the selection criteria prepared by the relevant HDR co-ordinator, or Deputy Dean/Head R&I if the nominee is an HDR Coordinator;
- a supporting statement from a current or graduated HDR candidate;
- the nominee’s short CV
To express interest in this award and request a nomination form please email: firstname.lastname@example.org include the name of the award in the subject header.
Innovative supervision can be demonstrated by evidence of engagement in high quality research training practice which has demonstrably led to a transformative student experience.
In considering nominations, the Awards Panel will consider evidence that the supervisor is:
- Enhancing student learning through integrating students into peer and/or professionally based networks or communities of practice.
- Enhancing student learning through forming supervisory teams that incorporate interdisciplinary or industry based representatives.
- Enhancing research outcomes and impact through initiatives aimed at supporting dissemination of research outcomes through publications or other appropriate research outputs.
- Supporting student engagement and learning by using other innovative practices.
Nominees should be aware that the Awards Panel will use information in ResearchMaster to validate research outputs provided in nominations. Please ensure that all reportable outputs information is submitted via online form which can be found here.
Value of the award
The RMIT Award for Innovative Research Supervision will comprise:
- A cash prize of $3000, paid into the research account of the awardee, to advance and support their research supervision practice, scholarship and research
- A certificate signed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (R&I)
- A permanent record of the award on an appropriate webpage (Honour Board) of the University.
- Commemorative Trophy