Research Stipend Scholarships
RMIT has two stipend scholarships available. These are the RTP Stipend Scholarship (RSS) and the RMIT Research Stipend Scholarship (RRSS).
RSS scholarships are funded by the Australian Government and RRSS scholarships are funded by RMIT University. When you apply for a research scholarship through one of the University’s rounds, you will automatically be considered for all the scholarships for which you are eligible.
Value and duration
In 2017, the RSS and RRSS provide the following benefits to recipients:
- A stipend of $30,000 per annum pro rata (full-time study). This amount is subject to indexation annually.
- International candidates in receipt of this scholarship are also awarded an RTP International Tuition Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS) or an RMIT Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS).
- All local candidates, Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia are provided with an RTP Fee Offset scholarship. Applicants in receipt of an RTP Fee Offset scholarship are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
- Relocation allowance, paid sick, maternity and parental leave as specified in the Scholarship Terms and Conditions.
The standard duration of a research doctoral scholarship is three years full-time. Candidates may apply for an extension of up to six months subject to satisfactory progress and school approval.
The duration of a research masters scholarship is two years full time, with no additional extension available.
The duration of an RSS or RRSS will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards a research degree at the same level, prior to the commencement of the RMIT research program.
This scholarship is for PhD or Masters by Research students only. To be considered for scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- an Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above)
- publications or significant research experience that could be deemed equivalent
Part-time applications from local applicants may be approved if applicants are able to demonstrate exceptional circumstances as specified in Section 2.3 of the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p). Scholarships provided to candidates enrolled on a part-time basis are not tax exempt.
Scholarship applicants already enrolled in a research degree must have:
- more than 24 months remaining of PhD candidature as at 1 January 2018
- more than 12 months remaining of Master by research candidature as at 1 January 2018
You will be considered ineligible for a stipend scholarship if:
- you are applying for or undertaking a Masters by Research and you already hold a Research Doctorate, Research Masters or an equivalent research qualification
- you are applying for or undertaking a Research Doctorate and you already hold a Research Doctorate or an equivalent research qualification
- you have previously held a Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship commencement date, or
- you are currently receiving another equivalent award, scholarship or research related salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the annual value of the stipend this scholarship provides
These scholarships are awarded through the University’s research scholarship rounds. All scholarship applications are ranked in accordance with the ranking model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
Key dates and how to apply
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
SGR Scholarships team
+61 3 9925 5570