Resources for learning and teaching spaces
Research and case studies that explore various approaches to the use of learning and teaching spaces.
Learning and Teaching projects
There are a range of projects that illustrate various approaches to learning and teaching in different spaces. Some great examples include:
- ‘Establishing best practice for optimising learning in a Technology Enhanced Active Learning Environment – TEALE’, Johan du Plessis (2011)
- ‘Professional learning networks: an exploratory study to connect people - spaces - technology’, Peter Muir (2011)
- Evaluating the Impact of Learning Spaces on the Student Learning Experience: Providing Evidence to Guide Design, Investment and Professional Development, Anthony Bedford (2012)
- The impact of new learning spaces on teaching practice literature review [PDF, 3.5 MB, 30 pages]
Videos that explore the use of RMIT’s learning and teaching spaces.
- A Change of Space - This short video explores the redevelopment of learning spaces and the impact they may have on the future of learning and teaching at RMIT.
- Reimagining your teaching - Professor Geoffrey Crisp presents insights as to how RMIT might approach the opportunity the new learning spaces provide whilst engaging in an activity he explains as "reimagining your teaching"
- Teaching in project based learning spaces - There are many different teaching spaces available at RMIT. This video has particular emphasis on learning spaces in RMIT SAB defined as "Project based learning spaces".
- Collaborative learning spaces - The video shares the experiences of several staff across RMIT University who are teaching in redesigned collaborative learning spaces.
- Staff reflections on teaching in collaborative learning spaces - This video is a collection of case studies of staff across RMIT University who have been teaching in collaborative learning spaces.
- Collaborative Learning Builds Deeper Understanding (YouTube) - This video highlights the benefits to student learning by working together and sharing. Students at The College Preparatory School are making collaboration the driving force in their learning.
- Teaching and learning experiences in active learning classrooms: highlights (YouTube) - This video highlights how instructors in four different disciplines from McGill University, Canada have used the features of McGill's Active Learning Classrooms to engage students and promote active and collaborative learning.
- Collaborative Learning Design (YouTube) - This video from CoCo Research Centre looks at look at research on collaborative design in education. Does designing learning experiences collaboratively lead to better outcomes? What are the characteristics of productive collaboration? Hear from Marcia C. Linn of Berkeley, Yael Kali of the Israel Institute of Technology, and Peter Goodyear of the University of Sydney.
- Scale-up (Student-Centred Active Learning Environment with Upside-down Pedagogies) - The purpose of this website is to share designs for state-of-the-art learning studios, teaching methods, and instructional materials that are based on more than a decade of discipline-based education research.
- Edutopia - The Power of Collaborative Learning - Encouraging students to reach out to one another to solve problems and share knowledge not only builds collaboration skills but leads to deeper learning and understanding.
- Office for Learning and Teaching resource library - There are numerous project reports and resources on Learning and Teaching Spaces.