Carey Lyon Scholarship
If you are a Bachelor of Architectural Design or Master of Architecture student and can demonstrate disadvantage, this scholarship could provide you with financial assistance.
This scholarship is not currently taking applications.
Value and duration
This scholarship provides $7000 for one year. It is anticipated that this scholarship will next be awarded in 2019.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, Australian permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa holder
- be enrolled full-time in the Bachelor of Architectural Design (BP250) or the Master of Architecture (MC163) in 2019
- be able to demonstrate financial and/or educational disadvantage such as:
- receiving a Government tested low income benefit or having a Centrelink Health Care Card
- having a long term medical condition or disability which impacts upon your study
- experiencing difficult family circumstances
- have relocated from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT
- were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- are a current or former refugee
- completed your secondary education at a School Network Access Program
- not have completed the same level of program or higher, e.g. if you plan to study a Bachelor of Architectural Design, you should not have previously completed another Bachelor degree.
Preference will be given to students who are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders.
How to apply
The link to the online application form will be available here once applications open.
Multiple applications will not be considered; only your first application will be assessed. In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a complete online application. Partial applications will not be assessed.
Ensure that you have your supporting documentation ready to upload in order to complete your application. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
Please refer to the Supporting Documentation – Financial and Educational Disadvantage Guide (PDF, 218kb, 2 pgs) which outlines acceptable forms of supporting documentation.
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. Once you have completed a question online, you cannot go back and modify your response(s). The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Why do you wish to study in the architecture field/s?
- What are your future plans and aspirations in the architecture industry?
- How will this scholarship help you to achieve your future personal and professional goals?
- What difficult circumstances have you faced that have affected your education and other personal aspects of your life?
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
It is anticipated that the next offering of this scholarship will be in 2019.
Not currently taking applications.
Terms and conditions
View the Scholarships Office’s Scholarships and Grants Terms and Conditions (PDF 272kb, 23p)
This scholarship is made possible by a generous donation from Mr Carey Lyon. He is a Director of one of Australia's leading architectural practices and is an Alumnus of RMIT, completing his Master of Architecture in 1994.
Mr Lyon is responsible for two major capital works at RMIT – the SAB (Swanston Academic Building – Building 80) and the NAS (New Academic Street) Project.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Students not receiving an email of scholarship offer have been unsuccessful.