Units and qualifications

Learn about the differences in terminology between RMIT University and Open Universities Australia.

As you may have noticed, different education institutions use different language to describe their offerings.

What the OUA calls a unit of study, we refer to as a course. While an OUA course is an RMIT program.

These differences are shown in the table below:

Open Universities Australia

RMIT University





RMIT University offers a range of courses and units through Open Universities Australia that enables you to work towards an RMIT award, such as Bachelor of Business, or complete individual units for professional or personal development.

The Open Universities Australia website lists all your RMIT study options.

It’s important to carefully read the information about your chosen courses or units before you enrol.

For more information about RMIT terminology, please see our Glossary of terms.