Professor Ralph Green
School of Health and Biomedical Sciences
+61 3 9925 7075
Science, Engineering and Health
- Associateship in Technology (WAIT)
- BAppSci (Medical Technology) (RMIT)
- BSc (Medical Science) (Curtin)
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists (FAIMS)
Summary of responsibilities
- Lecturer/tutor in Transfusion Science
- Coordinator of Transfusion Science workshop program
Lecturer / tutor for the following courses:
- ONPS2300/2358 Blood Transfusion Science
- ONPS2361 Advanced Transfusion and Transplantation Science 1
University management / administration responsibilities
- Acting Head, Department of Medical Laboratory Science 1992-93, 1994-98.
- Director of Teaching Quality, Faculty of Biomedical and Health Sciences and Nursing 1997-99.
- Member RMIT Teaching and Learning Strategy Committee 1997-99.
- Member Faculty Board, Faculty of Biomedical and Health Sciences and Nursing 1992-93, 1994-98.
- Member, Academic Board 1994-95.
- Division Leader, Laboratory Medicine 2001-2008.
- School Executive, School of Medical Sciences 2001-2008.
- Chair, School of Medical Sciences Learning and Teaching Committee 2006-2007
Educational development work
- Implemented restructuring of the undergraduate degree in Laboratory Medicine to incorporate full-time Profession Practice course in third year
- Implemented overseas placements as part of the Professional Practice program
- Restructured final year of the undergraduate degree to incorporate courses in Medical Genetics and Diagnostics and Medical Informatics and Laboratory Management
- Facilitated the introduction of web-based independent learning modules in haematology and immunology courses
- Introduced Graduate Diploma in Laboratory Medicine
- Introduced online Masters in Medical Science and the incorporation of Learning Journals and Contract Learning strategies in the program assessment
- Gained Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) UK accreditation of the Honours and online Masters in Medical Science programs
- Introduced computer workstations to wet laboratories in Haematology
- Introduced MP3 and screencast recording of lectures
- Introduced use of wikis to create a collaborative learning environment
- Introduced use of rubrics for standardization of assessment and provision of timely student feedback
Industry / profession / community involvement
- 1974-81, Committee Member, Branch Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Scientific Program Convenor on branches (WA, Tasmania and Victoria) of the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists (AIMS)
- 1979-84, Honorary Secretary, AIMS Postgraduate Examining Council
- 1984-96, National Councillor, National Board of Education member and Chairman of National Continuing Education Committee of the AIMS
- 1985-90, Examiner in Blood Transfusion, Postgraduate Education Committee, AIMS
- 1987, Editorial Committee, Red Cross/Victorian Medical Postgraduate Foundation, Blood Products and their Use Handbook
- 1990-94, Examiner in Immunology, Postgraduate Education Committee, AIMS
- 1990-01, Member, VIDG Publications Committee
- 1992-93, Member, Medical Scientists Competency Standards Steering Group
- 2000, NATA assessor in Biological Sciences
- 2005-2007, Chair, Committee of Heads of AIMS Accredited Programs (Australia and New Zealand)
Projects and consultancies
- 1986, Queensland University of Technology, Department of Medical Laboratory Science Coursework Masters in Health Science Accreditation.
- 1997, University of South Australia, School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Science Bachelor and Diploma of Biomedical Science course accreditation.
- 1998, Papua New Guinea Medical Officer Nursing and Allied Health Science Training Project.
Consultant to Faculty of Health Science, University of Papua, New Guinea for review and development of Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology and Degree in Medical Laboratory Science.
- 1999, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Department Assessment Committee member
- 2002, University Sains Malaysia, School of Health Sciences
External examiner and curriculum consultant for the Bachelor of Biomedical Science.
- 2008 Academic Advisor, Nilai International University College
- 2009 External examiner and curriculum advisor, Fiji School of Medicine
- W.K Kellogg Foundation Short-Term Fellowship
- Jim Davis Memorial Award (AIMS Victorian Branch)
- AIMS Travelling Fellow
- AIMS SAAL/Foley Lecturer
- RMIT Jim Wilkinson Award (recognition of extraordinary services to students with disabilities)
- Faculty Of Life Sciences Teaching Quality Award (for outstanding contributions to teaching in the category of Student Centred Teaching) Marilyn Pike, Alan Turner and Ralph Green
- RMIT University Certificate of Achievement (for a significant contribution to teaching in the category of Student Centred Teaching) Marilyn Pike, Alan Turner and Ralph Green
- George Swanson Christie Award (for outstanding service to the field of Medical Science AIMS)
- Peter Schiff Award (Australia and New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion)
- Jakobowicz-Simmons Oration (Victorian Immunohaematology Discussion Group)
- AIMS Travelling Orator
- Life Member Australian Institute of Medical Scientists
- Australian Patent 605746: Method of attaching biological substances to substrates.
- Inventors: D Sood and REB Green (subsequently patented in 15 countries)
- RMIT Intermediate and Advanced Transfusion Science Workshops 2004-2010
- Ortho Clinical Diagnostics sponsored Transfusion Science Workshops
- Singapore July 2008, Hong Kong August 2009
- Education design and development in Laboratory Medicine
- Information communication technology in education
- Immune cytopenias
- Laboratory techniques in Transfusion Science
Research publications and conference presentations
- Ralph Green, Elaine Batchelder, Stephen Shanahan and Rebecca Crockett. Teaching Transfusion and Transplantation Science in an Information Communication Technology (ICT) enabled Wet Laboratory Environment. Australia and New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion Annual Meeting. Perth. October 2008
- Ralph EB Green. Distance Learning in Australia. The Business of Pathology. Sydney. November 2007
- Ralph EB Green. Future of Medical Laboratory Scientist Education – a perspective on the Australian experience. South Pacific Congress, Auckland, August 2007
- Ralph Green. From Work Experience to Professional Practice. ED. 2007;2 (No 1) [online] URL http://emedia.rmit.edu.au/ed/Issue/2007a/Connect/article3_pg1.html (accessed 30th March 2008)
- Ralph Green, Andrew Wootton, Anne-Marie Christensen, Anne Johnston, Nick Vardaxis and Garry Allen. Redefining the student learning experience in a wet laboratory using an embedded workstation environment. EDUCAUSE Australasia, Melbourne, April 2007
- Ralph Green and Andrew Wootton. The MP3 revolution arrives in the classroom. AACB/AIMS National Scientific Meeting. Hobart, October 2006
- Ralph Green. The Productivity Commission Research Report on Australia’s Health Workforce – Implications for Medical Scientists. AACB/AIMS National Scientific Meeting. Hobart, October 2006
- A Wootton, C Webster and R Green Case-of-the-Week: connected, collaborative clinical chemistry eJIFCC 2006;17(2) Paper 2
- Ralph Green. The expanding role of Medical Scientists in the Practice of Laboratory Medicine. The Clinical Biochemist Newsletter. March 2006
- Green, Ralph EB. The crisis in non-medical manpower. Laboratory Medicine – Into the Future. AACB Symposium. Melbourne, December 2005
- Green Ralph EB. Blood Banking, Immunohaematology, Transfusion Science: what’s next? 38th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion. Melbourne. October 2004 Transfusion Medicine 2005, 15, 82
- Green Ralph. Genetics Perspective in Nursing. in Maureen Farrell, Suzanne Smelzter and Brenda Bare. Editors, Smelzter and Bare’s Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. Broadway. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2005 p123-146
- Green Ralph. Assessment of Immune Function. in Maureen Farrell, Suzanne Smelzter and Brenda Bare. Editors, Smelzter and Bare’s Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. Broadway. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2005 p1528-1544
- Green Ralph. Management of Patients with Immunodeficiency. in Maureen Farrell, Suzanne Smelzter and Brenda Bare. Editors, Smelzter and Bare’s Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. Broadway. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2005 p1545-1554
- Green, Ralph EB and Hughes, Virginia. Autoimmune Hemolyic Anemias. In: Harmening DM, editor. Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices.5th ed. Philadelphia: FA Davis; 2005. p.93-106
- Green REB. The quality of diagnostic evidence: educating Medical Scientists to value the quality of the information they generate for clinical decision-making. Evidence-based nursing practice 2003. Macao Polytechnic December 2003
- Green REB. Sticks and stones may break may break my bones but names will never hurt me, true, but can they help me. South Pacific Congress of the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists and the New Zealand Institute of Medical Laboratory Scientist. Queensland, October 2003
- Green REB. Undergraduate management education for Diagnostic Medical Scientists. South Pacific Congress of the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists and the New Zealand Institute of Medical Laboratory Scientist. Queensland, October 2003
- Green REB. Impact of Full-time Professional Practice on Student Perception of Medical Science as a Career. American Society of Clinical Scientist Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, July 2003
- Green REB. Incorporation of Management Skills in an Undergraduate Medical Laboratory Science Degree. American Society of Clinical Scientist Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, July 2003
- Green REB. Internationalising the Curriculum through overseas Professional Practice. Australian Institute of Medical Scientists National Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, September 2001
- Green REB. International standardisation of Medical Laboratory Science education. Australian Institute of Medical Scientists National Pathology Conference, Sydney, June 2000
- Green REB. Evaluation of graduate attributes in medical laboratory science students at RMIT University. Australian Institute of Medical Scientists National Pathology Conference, Sydney, June 2000
- Webb AJ, Green REB. Development of a multi-level web-based learning program on the ABO system. Australian Institute of Medical Scientists National Pathology Conference, Sydney, June 2000