Leave of absence
Where the structure of the program allows, students may apply for leave of absence for one or more semesters/teaching periods.
The leave of absence process from 16 November 2015
(Singapore Institute of Management)
- Student seeks advice from their course advisor
- Student applies online via SIMConnect and attaches any supporting information/documentation to their online application.
- Workflow sends the application to Level 1 (SIM) to confirm the application is complete.
- Workflow sends the application to Level 2 (RMIT College of Business) to assess the application for Business programs, or forward the application to other schools for non-Business programs.
- Once assessment is completed, RMIT College of Business records the application outcome in SIMConnect. Outcomes include: Approved, Denied, or More Information Required (plus add comments about what information is required).
- If the application outcome is Approved:
- Workflow sends the application to Level 3 (SIM) to process the application in SIMConnect
- data is sent from SIMConnect to SAMS to reflect the enrolment change
- SAMS sends an email to the student confirming that the application has been approved and their enrolment has been updated.
- If the application outcome is Denied:
- RMIT College/School notifies the student directly that the application has been denied
- Workflow sends the application to Level 3 (SIM) to close out the application in SIMConnect.
- If the application outcome is More information required:
- student submits further information requested
- Workflow returns application to Level 2 and application assessment proceeds for there.
The leave of absence process (all other partner institutions)
- Student seeks advice from their course advisor.
- Student completes a leave of absence form.
- Student signs form.
- Course advisor signs form.
- Student submits to partner institute.
- Partner forwards to RMIT School/College administrator for approval.
- RMIT School/College administrator checks details are correct and stamps and signs form.
- RMIT School/College administrator forwards to RMIT Global Enrolment Services for processing.
- RMIT Global Enrolment Services communicates the outcome to RMIT School/College administrator, via email, within 2 to 5 working days.
- RMIT School/College administrator communicates the outcome to the student via the student’s RMIT email account, cc to the partner, within 2 to 5 working days.
Financial and academic penalties may apply depending on the date the student submits their application.
Note: Once leave of absence has been approved all enrolments will be dropped for courses not completed at the time leave commences. Once the leave of absence period ends, students are required to enrol for their next semester/term by the relevant enrolment deadline for that semester.
Three to six weeks before the start of the semester when the student is expected to return from leave, the partner will send a letter to the student confirming their enrolment date, time and venue.
International students (e.g. a Singaporean national holding a student visa and studying in Hong Kong) studying an RMIT program through a partner institution should check to see if applying for leave of absence affects their visa conditions.