To formalise the financial, legal and academic delegations made by Council in accordance with Section 18 of the RMIT University Act in order to facilitate the efficient and effective operations of the University.
RMIT Group including controlled entities
1. Delegations are made to staff in relation to a position they occupy and are set out in the schedules below.
2. The incumbent includes the acting or temporary occupant of a position.
3. If a position is abolished or re-named, the delegation should be taken to be a reference to the principal successor to the functions of that position.
4. With the exception of the Vice Chancellor, no delegate is authorised to sub-delegate any of the delegate’s delegated functions to another person or group of persons.
5. Authority is exercised by the lowest level delegate in the first instance and escalated to a higher level delegate if the lower delegate is unavailable or has a conflict of interest.
6. If a legal agreement or other document covering a matter included in a delegate’s authority also includes subject matter that falls within the responsibility of a delegate with a higher authority, then the document must be signed by the delegate with the higher authority.
7. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, a delegation to a specific delegation band applies to any staff member within or above the delegation band. The Vice Chancellor is authorised to sign any agreement or other document in respect of any transaction within the Vice Chancellor's financial delegation.
8. A delegate may not sign an agreement unless the total value of the transaction, including both monetary and any in-kind consideration, falls within their delegated financial authority.
9. A delegate cannot exercise a delegation in regard to functions or staff for which the delegate does not hold line management responsibility.
10. Any delegation must be exercised in accordance with the approved budget or source of funds except where explicitly stated in the financial schedule.
11. Legal delegations cover any legal agreements or contracts including but not limited to deeds, the exchange of letters, a heads of agreement and other documents that create a legally binding obligation inclusive of tender submissions.
12. University Secretariat coordinates the annual review of all delegations.
13. Controlled entities must develop delegations schedules which are consistent with this policy and its schedules.[Next: Definitions]