Research funding from the tobacco industry policy process
Tobacco industry: The tobacco industry comprises individual companies, or their component parts, whose primary business is the manufacture, distribution, promotion and sale of tobacco and related products.
Tobacco Company: A company that:
- derives over 5% of revenues from manufacturing tobacco products, or;
- derives 15%+ of revenues from the manufacture of products necessary for the production of tobacco products, or;
- derives 15% of revenues from the sale of tobacco products (and has 30 or more staff), or;
- owns a tobacco company (the company owns 50% or more of a tobacco company), or;
- is more than 50% owned by a company with tobacco involvement.
The following do not constitute tobacco industry funding:
- legacies from tobacco industry investments (provided these are sold on immediately), or;
- funding from a trust or foundation no longer having any connection with the tobacco industry even though it may bear a name that (for historical reasons) has tobacco industry associations.