Major spill or acutely toxic chemicals
It is important to know what you are handling in the first place. Only those people trained in the storage and handling of dangerous goods should have access to them.
- Spill or leak
- Assist person in immediate danger (only if safe to do so)
- Restrict entrance to the danger area by shutting door/s where the spill has occurred (only if safe to do so)
- If flammable shut of all ignition sources (only if safe to do so)
- Raise the alarm – notify Fire Brigade 0-000 ask for hazmat unit and give as many details as possible
- Alert Security Ext. 53333
- Attend to the emergency (only if trained and it is safe to do so)
- Evacuate to the designated assembly area. Stay there until advised by Building Warden/Security or Emergency Service it safe to return to the building)
- Remove any personnel from down wind
An alternative assembly area may need to be used if the weather conditions are transporting vapours toward the primary assembly area. Listen for instructions and take note of unusual smells and conditions.