USA Accounting Global Intensive
This study program offers a unique opportunity to travel, study and gain access to leading business, educational and regulatory leaders in North America.
United States of America
This global intensive is suitable for Undergraduate and postgraduate students, accounting and will be taking place Thursday 29 June – Monday 10 July 2017 (excluding travel between Melbourne and USA).
The United States has the world’s largest national economy and is home to some of the largest corporations in the world. Participation in the study program provides unique insights into the operations of a number of large US corporations, as well as regulatory bodies responsible for the oversight of US corporate accounting practices, providing an exceptional first-hand opportunity to compare and contrast the practice and regulation of accounting in Australia and the US.
- Los Angeles CA
- Anaheim CA
- Washington DC
- Greenwich CT
- Fairfield CT
- New York NY
- Purchase NY
- Armonk NY
University of Southern California
The program will incorporate visits to the following host organisations: Walt Disney Studios, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, CBS Studios, University of Southern California, Australian Embassy Washington, Securities & Exchange Commission, GE-Corporate, Mastercard Global, Pepsico and IBM Corporate.
Presentations will be made by key executives on various accounting and business-related topics including the regulation of financial reporting; the corporate governance transparency expected of company directors and management; and the global financial crisis, behaviours of securities market agents and regulatory responses.
- Date of overseas tour: Thursday 29 June – Monday 10 July 2017
- Recommended arrival date: Wednesday 28 June 2017
- Pre Tour Workshop: 5 April, 29 May and 22 June 2017 (to be confirmed)
- Post Tour Workshop: TBC
- Students must attend ALL classes unless ill, in which case they must obtain a medical certificate as evidence of their illness
Overseas Course Content/Topics
Issues discussed include the regulation of financial reporting, especially the structure and activities of the FASB and SEC; the corporate governance transparency expected of company directors and management; the global financial crisis, behaviours of securities market agents and FASB and IASB responses.
* Please note that the program changes from year to year and will be finalised before the second weekend workshop in Melbourne
Course content and assessment
- Primer of host organisations (pre tour)
- Participation (whilst on tour)
- Learning journal and reflection (whilst on tour and post tour)
- Major assignment (post tour)
How to apply and Information sessions
Please complete the USA Understanding Global Accounting Practises Mobi application form by Wednsday 29 March 2017.
As there are only 18 places available, students are encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointment.
To find out more information about the global intensive and also to speak to the tour leaders, please attend an information:
- Wednesday 08 March at 17:30 (Room 80.9.09)
- Tuesday 14 March at 11:30 (Room 80.8.10)
- Wednesday 15 March at 16:30 (Room 80.7.08)
- Monday 20 March at 11:30 (Room 80.7.07)
- Thursday 23 March at 18:30 (Room 80.2.17)
- Friday 24 March at 14:30 (Room 80.9.07)
Accommodation will be on a twin-share basis in 4 star hotels, breakfast included. Details will be provided at information sessions and pre-departure workshops.