Dr Tricia McLaughlin
+61 3 9925 9805
College of Design and Social Context
Tricia is a Senior Officer in the Science, Health and Engineering Educational Research (SHEER) Centre.
- Lifelong learning
- Scholarship learning and teaching
- Access and Equity in learning
- Project Management
- Construction management
- Human Resource Management
- Industrial/Employee relationships
- Mondays, Tuesdays and every second Wednesday
- Master Business Administration (MBA)
- Doctor Education (D.Ed.)
- Master Education (M.Ed)
- Mills, Anthony, McLaughlin, Patricia and Carnegie, Jane (2013) Hurdling the Barriers: enabling student pathways from VET to HE. NCVER, Adelaide, S.Aust. IBSN 9781922056603
- McLaughlin, Patricia, Mills, Anthony, Davis, Peter, Saha, Swapan, Smith, Peter and Hardie, Mary (2013) Lifelong learning pathways : addressing participation and diversity in higher education, Final report 2013, in McLaughlin, P; Mills, A; Davis, P; Saha, S; Smith, P and Hardie, M (eds), Office for Learning and Teaching, Sydney, N.S.W. ISBN 978-1-922125-35-4
- McLaughlin, Patricia, Mills, Anthony, Davis, Peter, Saha, Swapan (2013) Clearing the pathway : improving the transition for students moving between AQF levels 5, 6 and 7, Office for Learning and Teaching, Sydney, N.S.W. IBSN 9781921916021
- McLaughlin P & Mills A., 2012 (Eds) Building Pathways. Chapman Publishing, Australia. IBSN: 978064657.
- McLaughlin, Patricia, O’Malley Cindy, Porcaro Pauline (2015) (in press) Inclusive STEM: closing the learning loop in Smith & Hadgraft (eds) Flipping the classroom: practice and practices, Pearson Educational
- McLaughlin, Patricia and Mills, Anthony (2012) Building sustained collaboration, in McLaughlin, P and Mills, A (eds), Building Pathways pp. 3-12, The Writing Bureau, North Fitzroy, Vic. IBSN 9780646578026
- McLaughlin, P. and Alhaug, C. 2006, 'Just coping: Australian female project managers' perception of stress', in Charlesworth S, Douglas K, Fastenau M, Cartwright S (ed.) Women and Work 2005: RMIT University Research, RMIT Publishing, Australia, pp. 143-153. ISBN: 1921166274
- Mills, Anthony, McLaughlin, Patricia and She, Ling-Ye (2012) Sustaining collaboration across sectors, in McLaughlin, P and Mills, A (eds), Building Pathways, pp. 25-35, The Writing Bureau, North Fitzroy, Vic. IBSN 9780646578026
Journal Articles (from 2010)
- McLaughlin P & Kennedy B. (2015) Making Something Out of Maths in Journal Educational Leadership in Action (accepted)
- Mitchell D., & McLaughlin P., (2015) Improved Student Performance in Science Learning. Journal of Teaching and Education, Volume 3, No 3.
- Morrissey, John, Iyer-Raniga, Usha, McLaughlin, Patricia and Mills, Anthony (2013) Sustainable planning and design of large-scale metropolitan development projects, International journal of sustainable development, vol. 16, no. 3-4, pp. 190-203,
- Mills, Anthony, Lingard, Helen, McLaughlin, Patricia and Iyer-Raniga, Usha (2012) Pathways to Industry International journal of construction education and research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 159-170,
- Morrissey, John, Iyer-Raniga, Usha, McLaughlin, Patricia and Mills, Anthony (2012) A strategic project appraisal framework for ecologically sustainable urban infrastructure, Environmental impact assessment review, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 55-65, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa.
- McLaughlin, P. and Faulkner, J. (2012), 'Flexible spaces and what students expect from university facilities', in Journal of Facilities Management, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, United Kingdom, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 140-149 ISSN: 1472-5967
- Mills, A. Lingard, H. McLaughlin, P. and Iyer-Raniga, U. (2012), 'Pathways to industry: work practices of undergraduate students in construction programs in Australia', in International Journal of Construction Education and Research, Routledge, United Kingdom, vol. 8, pp. 159-170 ISSN: 1557-8771
- McLaughlin, P. & Mills, A.(2012), Construction Pathways: Attracting the missing students and workers to University, Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building - Conference Series Vol 1, no,1 UTSe Press Scholarly Works
- Morrissey, J. Iyer-Raniga, U. McLaughlin, P. and Mills, A. (2012), 'A strategic project appraisal framework for ecologically sustainable urban infrastructure', in Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Elsevier Inc., United States, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 55-65 ISSN: 0195-9255
- Morrissey, J. Iyer-Raniga, U. McLaughlin, P. and Mills, A. (2011), Sustainable planning and design of large-scale metropolitan development projects', in International Journal of Sustainable Development, Inderscience Publishers, United Kingdom, vol. --, ISSN: 0960-1406
- McLaughlin, P. and Mills, A. (2010) "The best of both worlds-how vocational education can enhance university studies in construction management" in Research in Post Compulsory Education. Vol 15 No 1. March pp 117-126
Conference Publications (from 2010)
- McLaughlin, P, Kennedy B,& Reid J ( 2015) Navigating the Lifelong Learning Boat through uncharted Waters in Proceedings of the Higher Education Research Development Society Australia 2015 Conference” Learning for Life and work in a Complex World, Melbourne July 2015
- McLaughlin P., & Kennedy B ( 2015) Making Something out of Mathematics: using advanced technology to interest secondary school girls in Mathematics. in Leavitt L, Bonder B ( eds) Proceedings of the 3rd Annual International Conference in Education “Putting The Pieces Together in Education” Chicago May 26-27, 2015
- Mills, A, McLaughlin, P and Tivendale,L (2014), Evaluation Of Graduate Learning Outcomes Using Constructive Alignment in Australia, in 50th ASC Associated Schools of Construction Conference, ASC- Associated Schools of Construction, [Washington, D.C.], pp. 1-8.
- McLaughlin, Patricia and Mills, Anthony (2014) Solving Skill Shortages through Enabling Upskilling. AUBEA (2014): Proceedings of the 38th Australasian Universities Building Education Association Conference, pp. 1-13, AUBEA, Auckland, New Zealand
- Mills, Anthony and McLaughlin, Patricia (2013) Pathways to university : enabling factors in construction management education in Australia, in Unknown (ed.), ASC 2013 : Proceedings of the 49th Annual Associated Schools of Construction International Conference, pp. 1-9, Associated Schools of Construction, Hattiesburg, Miss.
- McLaughlin, Patricia and Mills, Anthony (2013) Encouraging more students into construction management, in Gonzalez, Vicente and Yiu, Tak Wing (eds), AUBEA 2013 : Proceedings of the 38th Australasian Universities Building Education Association Conference, pp. 1-13, AUBEA, Auckland, New Zealand
- McLaughlin, P. and Reid, J. (2012), 'Establishing STEM educational leadership: the RMIT SHEER centre', in Proceedings of the 2nd International STEM in Education Conference 2012: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, Shengquan Yu (ed.), Beijing Normal University, STEM 2012 Instructional Innovations and Interdisciplinary Research in STEM Education, Beijing China, pp. 241-247
- Mills, A & McLaughlin. P,(2012), Measuring pathways to university: Success factors in construction management education37th Annual conference of the Australian Universities Building Education Association, UNSW, July 4-6, Sydney
- McLaughlin, P. & Mills, A. (2012), Construction Pathways........Attracting the missing students and workers to University, 37th Annual conference of the Australian Universities Building Education Association, UNSW, July 4-6, Sydney
- Mills A., McLaughlin P., Tivendale L.,(2012), “Work And Study In Construction Education: Practices Of Undergraduate students In Australia” paper presented to International Cost Engineering Council 8th World Congress: Sth Africa, July 23-27, 2012
- Mills, A. McLaughlin, P. and Davis, P.(2011), 'Pathways to formally assessed work placement: Employers' perspectives on collaborative education in the Australian construction industry', in 15th Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress, Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors, Colombo, Sri Lanka, pp. 231-237 (15th Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress)
- Morrissey, John, Iyer-Raniga, Usha, McLaughlin, Patricia and Mills, Anthony (2010) Proposal of a tiered conceptual framework for sustainable design and planning of large-scale development projects in the metropolitan context, in unknown (ed.), NZSSES 2010 : Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Sustainability Engineering and Science, pp. 479-490, New Zealand Society for Sustainability Engineering and Science (NZSSES), Auckland, N. Z.
- Mills, Anthony, Wingrove, Dallas and McLaughlin, Patricia (2010) Exploring the development and assessment of work-readiness using reflective practice., in Egbu, C and Lou, E (eds), ARCOM 2010 : Proceedings of the 26th Annual Conference, pp. 163-172, ARCOM, Reading, England
Category 1. External Grants (previous 5 years)
- Office Learning & Teaching (DIISRTE /OLT) Global Canopy 2015-6 $280k Chief Investigator
- Office Learning & Teaching (DIISRTE /OLT) STEM Ecosystem2013-5 Team Investigator $240k
- Australian Maths Science Schools Partnerships Programme (DET/OCS) Making Something out of Maths. 2014-2015 Chief Investigator $50k
- Office Learning & Teaching (DIISRTE /OLT) Signposting the Pathways 2012-2013 Chief Investigator $30k
- National Council Vocational Educational Research (NCVER) Hurdling the Great Divide 2012-2013 Chief Investigator $100K
- Office Learning &Teaching (DIISRTE /OLT) Clearing the Pathways: AQF 2011-2013 Chief Investigator $101k
- Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Lifelong Learning Pathways 2010-2012 Chief Investigator $171K