Course Title: Contribute to OHS processes
Part B: Course Detail
Teaching Period: Term2 2011
Course Code: NURS5121C
Course Title: Contribute to OHS processes
School: 155T Vocational Health and Sciences
Campus: City Campus
Program: C4207 - Certificate IV in Optical Dispensing
Course Contact: Timothy Haigh
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 9925 4846
Course Contact Email: email@example.com
Name and Contact Details of All Other Relevant Staff
Cluster One Coordinator
Phone +61 3 9925 8382
Nominal Hours: 20
Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Pre-requisites and Co-requisites
This unit specifies the workplace performance required by an employee to contribute to OHS processes where there is responsibility for own work outputs and possibly limited responsibility for the work output of others
National Codes, Titles, Elements and Performance Criteria
National Element Code & Title:
HLTOHS300A Contribute to OHS processes
1. Plan and conduct work safely
2. Support others in working safely
3. Contribute to OHS participative processes
4. Contribute to hazard identification, OHS risk assessment and risk control activities
5. Participate in the control of emergency situations
Details of Learning Activities
1: Read each topic in the Learner Guide. Upon completion of each topic, complete the self-assessment checklist from the Learner Guide. Once you have done this, progress to the next topic.
2: Complete the self-assessment quiz. Please note, this is not an assessment task. The self-assessment will check your level of understanding of the unit and provide you with feedback.
3: Refer to the Learning and Assessment Guide (LAG) items 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. Familiarise yourself with the content.
Topic 1: Introduction to Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S)
Topic 2: Workplace safety: The players
Topic 3: Workplace hazards
Topic 4: Plan and conduct work safely
Topic 5: Support others in working safely
Topic 6: Reflection
1. Learner guide HLTOHS300A
2. Learning and Assessment Guide – Year 1
3. Additional learning materials available through the Learning Hub
4. Toohey, Occupational Health and Safety in Australia - University Edition First Edition, 2005
5. There are vast resources available for health and safety in the workplace. why not ask your librarian for a list of resource related to occupational, health and safety. State, national and overseas OHS bodies (for example, http://www.workcover.vic.au, http://www.workcover.com/resources/resLinksWorkCovers.html
6. Access videos 1-12 via this link http://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/set/Videos/OHSLUX/
Overview of Assessment
Assessment may consist of examinations, quizzes, practical demonstration, work based assessment or simulation, submission of your learning and assessment guide and assignments.
Before attempting any of the below assessment tasks ensure that you agree with all self-assessment checklists in the Learner Guide and that you have completed the online self-assessment quiz.
1. Complete the online test titled HLTOHS300A. This test consists of completing a series of 10 online questions. These questions may consist of true or false, multiple choice, short answer questions etc. In order to pass you need to answer seven or more correct (7 out of 10). You must pass this prior to completing assessment task 2.
2. Refer to your learning and assessment guide (LAG) and carefully read items 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. An RMIT University assessor will assess you on items 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 during a work-based assessment and during your compulsory attendance at blocks in year one. In addition your assessor will include a range of verbal questions to ask during these assessments. In addition an RMIT University assessor may talk to your employer.
3. At the end of the semester you will be required to complete a 60-minute knowledge test, which you will complete as part of your workplace assessment. Please note that this examination will cover HLTHIR301A, HLTOHS300A, HLTOPD401A, BSBCMN302A, BSBFLM403B and HLTOPD407A and you will only be allowed to attempt it once. This examination will include short answers, true or false, multiple-choice, equations and other types of questions. You will know at the end of this test if you have passed. The pass mark is 70%.
Please note that you will need to demonstrate competency in all 3 of these assessment tasks in order to achieve competency for this unit
This Unit forms 1 part of the 6 units of competency required to successfully complete Cluster One
Course Overview: Access Course Overview