Course Title: Manage risk
Part A: Course Overview
Program: C5376 Diploma of Logistics
Course Title: Manage risk
Portfolio: BUS Portfolio Office
Nominal Hours: 60Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Course Contact: Tim Wallis
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 9925 5423
Course Contact Email: email@example.com
This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to manage risks in a range of contexts across an organisation or for a specific business unit or area in any industry setting.
It applies to individuals who are working in positions of authority and are approved to implement change across the organisation, business unit, program or project area. They may or may not have responsibility for directly supervising others.
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
National Competency Codes and Titles
National Element Code & Title:
BSBRSK501 Manage risk
1. Establish risk context
2. Identify risks
3. Analyse risks
4. Select and implement treatments
This course is structured to provide students with the optimum learning experience in order to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to manage risks in a range of contexts across an organisation or for a specific business unit or area in any industry setting.
Overview of Assessment
Assessment methods have been designed to measure achievement of the requirements in a flexible manner over a range of assessment tasks, for example:
- direct questioning combined with review of portfolios of evidence and third party workplace reports of on-the-job performance by the candidate
- review of final printed documents
- demonstration of techniques
- observation of presentations
- oral or written questioning to assess knowledge of software applications
You are advised that you are likely to be asked to personally demonstrate your assessment work to your teacher to ensure that the relevant competency standards are being met.
You will be required to provide evidence of the following skills:
- analyse information from a range of sources to identify the scope and context of the risk management process including:
- stakeholder analysis
- political, economic, social, legal, technological and policy context
- current arrangements
- objectives and critical success factors for the area included in scope
- risks that may apply to scope
- consult and communicate with relevant stakeholders to identify and assess risks, determine appropriate risk treatment actions and priorities and explain the risk management processes
- develop and implement an action plan to treat risks
- monitor and evaluate the action plan and risk management process
- maintain documentation.
You are required to provide evidence of the following:
- outline the purpose and key elements of current risk management standards
- outline the legislative and regulatory context of the organisation in relation to risk management
- outline organisational policies, procedures and processes for risk management.
Feedback will be provided throughout the semester in class and/or online discussions. You are encouraged to ask and answer questions during class time and online sessions so that you can obtain feedback on your understanding of the concepts and issues being discussed. Finally, you can email or arrange an appointment with your teacher to gain more feedback on your progress.
You should take note of all feedback received and use this information to improve your learning outcomes and final performance in the course.