Course Title: Work in the nursing profession
Part B: Course Detail
Teaching Period: Term2 2013
Course Code: NURS5244C
Course Title: Work in the nursing profession
School: 155T Life & Physical Sciences
Program: C5313 - Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled-Division 2 Nursing)
Course Contact : Leeanne Mond
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 9925 4837
Course Contact Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Name and Contact Details of All Other Relevant Staff
- Simone Allison
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 03 9926 4809
- Erica Keen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 03 9925 6649
Nominal Hours: 90
Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Pre-requisites and Co-requisites
NIL PRE REQUISITES
This course is delivered in collaboration with the Australian Health Care System.
This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to practice as a nursing professional with clients across the lifespan in a range of health care environments, such as acute care, community care, mental health, aged care, medical / surgical
The knowledge and skills described in this competency unit are to be applied within jurisdictional nursing and midwifery regulatory authority legislative requirements. Enrolled/Division 2 nursing work is to be carried out in consultation/collaboration with registered nurses and under direct or indirect supervisory arrangements in line with jurisdictional regulatory requirements
National Codes, Titles, Elements and Performance Criteria
National Element Code & Title:
HLTEN401B Work in the nursing profession
1. Apply the principles of primary health care delivery
1.1 Work with an understanding of the historical development of health care
2.1 Reflect in own work practice appropriate application of wellness and illness models of care within the Australian health care system
3.1 Work with an understanding of the historical and current perspectives of the nursing profession and nurse education
4.1 Respond to death as an aspect of the life span
5.1 Contribute effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team implementing care plans in each health care area
6.1 Identify, access and undertake available options for professional skill development
7.1 Apply jurisdictional requirements relating to Scope of Practice Framework
The knowledge and skills described in this competency unit are to be applied within jurisdictional nursing and midwifery regulatory authority legislative requirements.
Enrolled/Division 2 nursing work is to be carried out in consultation/collaboration with registered nurses and under direct or indirect supervisory arrangements in line with jurisdictional regulatory requirements.
Details of Learning Activities
Refer to the latest timetable on Blackboard for actual days.
Learning Strategies will be in the form of:
• Facilitated class discussion
• Scenario/simulation activities
• Small group work
Lesson 1: Apply the principles of primary healthcare delivery – Australian Healthcare System
• Discuss the development of the Australian Healthcare system
• Identify & describe the levels of healthcare provided in the Australian Healthcare system
• Identify & describe the principles of primary healthcare
• Identify & describe the philosophical framework, which supports the primary healthcare system
Lesson 2: Apply the principles of primary healthcare delivery – The Healthcare team
• Identify & describe the roles & responsibilities of the EN as a member of a healthcare team
• Identify & describe the roles & responsibilities of members of the healthcare team
• Identify & discuss how to establish relationships and interact with members of the allied healthcare team
Lesson 3: Apply the principles of wellness
• Indentify & describe the wellness & illness models of care within the Australian healthcare system
• Identify & describe wellness models of care for people with disabilities
• Identify & describe healthcare issues that may require nursing care
Lesson 4:Work in the context of professional nursing practice – History of nursing
• Indentify & describe the historical & current perspectives of the nursing profession & nurse education
• Discuss the historical development of each nursing environment e.g. acute or home based care
• Identify & discuss the theoretical concepts & information in relation to nursing practice
Lesson 5: Work in the context of professional nursing Practice
• Identify & describe the functions of professional nursing bodies including
• Identify & describe the principles & parameters of nursing practice
• Identify & describe the processes of audit & accreditation
Lesson 6: Health Issues arising in healthcare – Issues of Life and Death
• Identify & describe common terms associated with death & dying including
- Funeral Rites
- Law of Karma
- Last Rights
• Anointing the sick
• Indentify & describe how to support clients, families & carers through the grief & bereavement process
• Identify resources to assist clients, families & carers with issues of grief & loss
Lesson 7: Health Issues arising in healthcare - Disability
• Identify & describe major classifications of disability, & their major causes
• Discuss the implementation of care for persons with disabilities
• Design a learning program for a person with a disability
Lesson 8: Contribute to professional work team
• Identify & describe the role of the EN as a member of a multidisciplinary healthcare team
• Define & discuss group dynamics & how the EN can contribute to effective team work
• Define & discuss reflective practice & strategies, which can be used
Lesson 9: Participate in professional skills development
• Identify & discuss the areas & strategies for professional skills development
• Identify & describe the benefits of membership with professional organisations
• Identify & discuss the employment opportunities for the EN
• Identify & describe the processes & materials for an employment application
Lesson 10: Apply the Scope of Nursing Practice Decision Making Framework
• Identify & discuss the jurisdictional requirements that govern nursing practice including
• standards of registration
• ANMC Competencies for the EN
• Code of Conduct for Nurses
• Code of Ethics for Nurses
• Professional Boundaries
• Reflect on the EN’s scope of practices, and the role of the EN within different healthcare environments
Kozier and Erbs ‘Fundamentals of Nursing’. (20120) 1st Edition. Pearson: Australia
• Brown, D., Edwards, H. (eds) 2005, Lewis’s medical surgical nursing; assessment and management of clinical problems, Elsevier Mosby.
Classroom power points accessed from blackboard
Overview of Assessment
Underpinning knowledge for this unit of competency will be assessed via teh following methods:
- Class group presentation
- Written Assessment
- Clinical Placement
Assessment: Work in the Nursing Profession HLTEN401B
Group Presentation 60% and Written paper 20%
This assignment is a part of the assessment for the above course. For this course you are also assessed on your performance in Clinical Placement. 20%
In particular it assesses the following elements:
• Apply the principles of primary health care delivery
• Apply the principle of wellness
• Work in the context of professional nursing practice
• Manage issues arising in health care
• Contribute to professional work team
• Participate in professional skills development
• Apply the scope of nursing practice decision making framework
This assignment also assesses the essential knowledge associated with this course
Include evidence of research and references from your reading to support your presentation and submitted written paper.
Group presentation Topics
The group is required to present a short presentation on any of the following topics:
• Discuss the development of Nursing as a profession from the Florence Nightingale era to present day, with particular reference to Nursing as a profession in Australia.
• Discuss the range of health care setting, equity and accessibility to health care.
• Discuss one or more Nursing Theories
• Discuss relevant Nursing documentation
• Discuss Professional development in Nursing
• Discuss Grief and Death in Nursing.
• Discuss the scope of Nursing Practice Decision Making Framework
• Select a type of a patient /condition and develop a learning program to address their needs
The group is required to present their presentation to the class as a team effort.
Then the group is required to submit a 1500 word written paper on their topic with references.
Cover sheets for the written paper must include one per student / group member.
Students must clearly identify what student did what part of their assignment to ensure fairness in marking.
Students will be marked on their work only.
In your presentation and written paper as a group your work must address the following elements in relation to your topic:
• the principles of primary health care delivery
• the principle of wellness
• be set in the context of professional nursing practice
• address issues arising in health care
• working with other professionals in the health team
• identify avenues for further professional skills development
• be able to apply the scope of nursing practice decision making framework
Group written paper should be approximately 1500 words on the topic presented.
Reference list and in text reference should be attached.
Assignment should be formatted as per RMIT policy.
Ensure you provide PowerPoint presentation or any handout to give to your audience.
To gain competency in this course you must have a 60% grade
- 60 - 69 - CAG
- 70 - 79 -CC
- 80 - 89 - CDI
- 90 - 100 - CHD
Delivery : Nominal hours 90
• Classroom 30 hours
• Self-directed learning 3 hours
• Clinical 57 hours
Classroom attendance of 80% required
Clinical attendance of 100% required ( this is assessed over two (2) placements - placement 1 and placement 2 - both must be deemed competent )
All assessments in this course must have a competent grade awarded in order to have a competency grade awarded for the course
This course must have a competency graded awarded before commencing phase 2 of the program
Course Overview: Access Course Overview