Course Title: Manage workplace issues
Part B: Course Detail
Teaching Period: Term2 2010
Course Code: HWSS5335C
Course Title: Manage workplace issues
School: 365T Global Studies, Soc Sci & Plng
Campus: City Campus
Program: C6054 - Advanced Diploma of Disability Work
Course Contact : Mary Collins
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 99254598
Course Contact Email:email@example.com
Name and Contact Details of All Other Relevant Staff
Nominal Hours: 75
Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Pre-requisites and Co-requisites
Students are assumed to be experienced disability staff working in the disability or community services fields.
In this unit you will develop the knowledge and skills for implementing appropriate people management processes and structures to maximise work outcomes in the disability and/or community services sector.
National Codes, Titles, Elements and Performance Criteria
National Element Code & Title:
CHCORG7B Manage workplace issues
By completing this unit you will achieve and demonstrate competence in the following elements:
- management of staff planning and recruitment
- management of work allocation
- evaluation of work group effectiveness
- implementation of disciplinary and grievance procedures
Details of Learning Activities
You will attend a program of workshops which will focus on key themes and issues and which will include guest presenters from the disability area and other industry areas. The student cohort is comprised of experienced industry staff so the workshops are based on extending your knowledge and skills focussing on current work practices, industry initiatives and issues, legislative and policy changes and developments. Some in-class assessment tasks are included in workshops.
|WORKSHOP NUMBER||WORKSHOP TOPICS|
|2||Managing organisational change|
|3||Leading and managing community services|
|4||Managing issues within a workplace environment|
|5||Managing quality and reducing risk within a safe environment|
Management of safety within the workplace
Research session - non attendance
|8||Developing a learning culture within a change environment|
Overview of Assessment
Assessment will be through a mix of in-class tasks, workplace based projects and a workplace assessment. A workplace assessment appointment will be undertaken once per year with each student to allow students to present and discuss workplace evidence.
This research project for is due for assessment and presentation to the RMIT assessor by 9th November 2010
For Learners involved with the RMIT Advanced Diploma of Disability Work program to plan/develop/implement a research project that support identified learning needs in respect to the units of competency targeted for second semester.
The research project could see you engage a range of stakeholders such as relevant disability service organizations, service advocates, service users and your RMIT course staff.
For participants to plan and implement a research project that.
Demonstrates their capabilities of research in respect to the targeted units of competency.
The research project should provide the opportunity for participants to demonstrate their competency holistically in relation to elements and performance in competency standards. The questions in task 1 & 2 focus on researching a range of practice areas within a disability organization such as:
• An understanding of leadership and management practices
• Promotion of effective team work practice
• Establishment of reflective practices for self and team.
• Managing a change environment.
• Ensuring safe work environments
RESEARCH PROJECT TASKS - this assessment has two tasks:
Task 1 Service review and reflection.
Provide responses to the 9 questions. The questions are structured to seek out your knowledge of leadership and management and to reflect on your own service response to leadership and management issues identified as a requirement with clients you may be working with in the disability sector. Each task question requires a minimum 300 word response.
1. Please provide a definition and explanation of the terms leadership, management and coordination and their respective applications.
2. What do you believe are the most common issues facing leaders and managers within your work environment?
3. Provide an example of a workplace issue/s that you identify as requiring an intervention. What organisational processes would you use and what appropriate leadership and or management skills would you require to use to deal with the issue/s?
4. Provide an overview of your understanding of your organisations support processes for new and emerging managers. Key headings could be support, training & development and mentoring systems.
5. As a manager within your workplace, what would be strategies that you would need to consider in respect to dealing with a complex staffing/team situation and provide an example of how you managed this.
6. Discuss with peers and provide an explanation of what strategic and operational planning is and provide examples of a change process that has occurred.
7. Define your organisations processes for managing risk. Use examples of work practices from your own work area.
8. What is supervision within your workplace and give an example of it being used.
9. Define a safe working environment. Use examples of your own work area.
Compile a record of your answers to the task questions as part of your project portfolio
Task Two – Work based research project
The research project task two is organized around the following questions.
You will be required to research and document a disability service local to your work area or one that has been in partnership with your service in respect to a client issue.
In preparing your document for assessment you will need to consider and document the following:
1. What is the service you are researching?
2. What primary service provision is offered by this service?
3. What is the service philosophy this service operates under?
4. What legislative frameworks does service operate within?
5. What strategies does this service have in respect to service collaboration with other services?
6. What is the staff intake and support process of this service?
7. Does this service have a supervision processes, if so what is it?
8. What are the service planning processes with clients?
9. How are the services planning processes reviewed?
10. What strategies does this service have in respect to managing change?
11. What strategies does this service have in respect to ensuring safe working environments for service users and staff?
12. Based on your research what systems are in place that engage your service with the researched service? If there isn’t any what systems would you develop and why?
The Assessment Matrix will be distributed and discussed in class. The matrix is used to track the student’s progress to "Competency Achieved" through the full set of learning and assessment tasks each semester.
The following 5 units are dleivered as a cluster with a common workshop schedule. The Workplace Project and research tasks are designed to address the set of 5 units:
CHCORG28B – Reflect and improve upon professional practice
CHCORG11B – Lead and develop others
CHCORG7B – Manage workplace issues
BSBMGT505A – Ensure a safe workplace
CHCORG10B – Managing organizational change
Course Overview: Access Course Overview