Blackboard’s notification system can notify staff and students of updates to their Blackboard course content and activities that require action.
Notifications can help staff stay on top of activity across all Blackboard courses, including retention centre alerts, student assessments to be graded, and unread discussion board posts, blog entries, journal entries, and course messages.
Students can also be notified of course activity such as upcoming and past due assignments, new course content, and unread discussion board posts and blog entries.
Notifications can be delivered or accessed in the following ways:
- Notifications Dashboard: Accessed from the Programs and courses tab. The dashboard displays the following notification modules:
- Needs Attention: Displays all items in a course that require some type of interaction. Instructors see student submissions that need grading such as assignments, tests, surveys, blog and discussion board posts, and journal entries.
- Alerts: Displays past due and Retention Centre alerts for all courses. Instructors see the students in each course who have past due items and who have generated Retention Centre alerts.
- What's New: Displays a list of new items in all relevant courses and organisations. Instructors see new tests and assignments that have been submitted. They also see new discussion board posts, blog entries, journal entries, and course messages. Students see new posts, new course messages, new grades posted, and new content that is available.
- To Do: Displays the status (Past Due/Due) of relevant course work. Students see grade items that have listed due dates in two categories – what is past due and what is due in the future. Links to relevant course items are provided.
- My Blackboard: Accessed through the global navigation menu, the Updates page displays notifications for all of your courses and the Posts page displays unread discussions, blogs, journals, and wikis.
- Course home: If enabled, this page can display notification modules including What’s new and To Do.
- Daily Email Digest: Notifications and Due-Date reminders can be sent as daily email digests
- Blackboard Mobile apps: Some notifications can be delivered via the Blackboard Mobile Learn and Bb Student mobile apps.
Staff and students can customise the notification settings for each course and select which notifications they wish to receive and delivery mode. These settings can be accessed via the global navigation menu or the notifications dashboard.