Piers K Fowler Scholarship
If you are enrolled in your final year of the Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots) (AD023) and can demonstrate academic achievement and disadvantage, this scholarship could provide financial assistance towards your study costs.
Value and duration
Up to $5000
Number of scholarships available
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- be enrolled full time in your final year of the Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots) (AD023)
- be able to demonstrate academic achievement
- be able to demonstrate financial and/or educational disadvantage such as:
- receiving a Government tested low income benefit or having a Centrelink Health Care Card
- having a long term medical condition or disability which impacts your study
- experiencing difficult family circumstances
- have/will be relocating from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT
- were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- are a current or former refugee
- completed your secondary education at a School Network Access Program school.
- be passionate about the aviation industry
- not have completed the same level of program or higher, e.g. if you plan to study a Bachelor of Architectural Design, you should not have previously completed another bachelor degree.
How to apply
The link to the online application form will be available here once applications open.
Ensure that you have your supporting documentation ready to upload in order to complete your application. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
Please refer to the Supporting Documentation – Financial and Education Disadvantage Guide (PDF 220kb, 2p) which outlines acceptable forms of supporting documentation.
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. Once you have completed a question online, you cannot go back and modify your response/s.
The main application questions are listed below to allow you to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Describe your academic performance; in particular discuss any achievements or significant academic results.
- Discuss your passion for studying in the aviation field, including the steps you have taken to achieve your educational goals.
- What are you future plans and career aspirations?
- How do you intend to use this scholarship and how will it assist you to achieve academic success?
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Applications now closed.
Applications now closed.
Terms and conditions
View the Coursework Scholarships Office Scholarships and Grants Terms and Conditions
Piers K Fowler
The memory of Piers K Fowler and his contribution to Australian aviation lives on through the Piers K Fowler Scholarship.
The Scholarship has been established by the Piers K Fowler Trust and RMIT University to honour Piers’ legacy and to continue what he enjoyed doing most – sharing, teaching and training with anyone who was interested in aviation.
Sadly, Piers died in 2013 at a young age after a period of ill health; however he achieved great success during his short life combining a passion for both aviation and teaching and being an active volunteer in a range of community activities.
Piers had been part of general and commercial aviation for over 20 years. He made his first solo flight out of Moorabbin at the age of 16. He went on to fly commercial freight at night over the Bass Strait, and later flew in the west of the United States. The highlight of Piers’ career was his 15 years at Qantas. Joining Qantas in 1996, he flew the 747, 767 and 737 fleets before becoming Training First Officer, Boeing 737 Fleet. Piers trained both Australian and international pilots of all ranks.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Students not receiving an email of scholarship offer have been unsuccessful.
Ready to Apply?