Professor Breen Creighton
Graduate School of Business & Law
+61 3 9925 5770
College of Business
- LLB, Queen’s University Belfast, 1969
- LLB, University of Melbourne, 1998
- PhD, Cambridge University, 1975
- Labour Law
- Employment Law
- Occupational Health and Safety Law
- International Labour and Human Rights Law
- Discrimination Law
- Statutory Interpretation
- Labour law
- Partner, Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Melbourne, 1999 – 2008
- Professorial Fellow, Faculty of Law, University of Melbourne, 1996 – 2009
- Special Counsel, Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Melbourne , 1997 – 1999
- Professor of Law & Legal Studies, La Trobe University, 1992 – 1996
- Consultant on Ratification of ILO Standards, Department of Industrial Relations, Canberra, 1991 – 1992
- Principal Legal Officer International Labour Office (ILO), Geneva, 1988 – 1991
- Legal Officer, Australian Council of Trade Unions, 1986 – 1988
- Senior Lecturer/Reader in Law, University of Melbourne, 1977-88 (leave of absence 1986 – 1988)
- Lecturer in Law, University of Edinburgh, 1972 – 1977.
Other relevant experience
- Member of Occupational Health and Safety Commission (Victoria) 1985 – 1986.
- Member of Advisory Committee on Distribution of Powers, Constitutional Commission (Commonwealth), 1986 – 1988.
- Consultant to Australian Law Reform Commission on Access to Courts (Commonwealth), 1987 – 1988.
- Member Administrative Review Council (Commonwealth), 1987 – 1988.
- Consultant to Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Solicitors, 1994 – 1996 and 2011- to date.
- Member, Worksafe Australia Steering Committee on the Evaluation of National Standards, 1995 – 1997.
- Member, Advisory Committee on Workplace Privacy and Surveillance, Victorian Law Reform Commission, 2002 – 2005.
- Deputy Member, Board of Examiners of Supreme Court of Victoria, 2007 – 2009.
- Consultant on Workplace Relations to Business Council of Australia, 2009 – to date.
- Member Practical Legal Training Committee, Council of legal Education (Victoria), 2011- to date
Rediscovering Collective Bargaining: Australia’s Fair Work Act in International Perspective, with Forsyth A (Routledge, New York, 2012 (xii +350 pp)
Labour Law: Text and Materials, with Ford W J and Mitchell R J, (2nd ed) Law Book Co., Sydney, 1993 (xxi +1564)
Occupational Health and Safety Law in Victoria, with Rozen P, (3rd ed) Federation Press, Sydney, 2007 (xxiii + 454 pp.)
Transition to Forward with Fairness: Labor’s Reform Agenda, with Forsyth A, Gostencnik V and Sharard T, Law Book Co, Sydney, 2008 (xxix + 259 pp.)
Labour Law, with Stewart AJ, (5th ed) Federation Press, Sydney, 2010 (lxxxiii + 968 pp.)
Chapters in books
‘Rediscovering Collective Bargaining’, in B Creighton and A Forsyth (eds), Rediscovering Collective Bargaining: Australia’s Fair Work Act in International Perspective, pp.1-20, Routledge, New York, 2012 (xii +350 pp) [with Forysth, A]
‘International Labour Standards and Collective bargaining under the Fair Work Act 2009’ in B Creighton & A Forsyth (eds), Rediscovering Collective Bargaining: Australia’s Fair Work Act in International Perspective, pp.1-20, Routledge, New York, 2012 (xii +350 pp)
“Modernising Australian Labour Law: Industrialisation and the Shift from ‘Compulsory’ Conciliation and Arbitration to Enterprise Bargaining”, in R Blanpain & M Weis (eds), Changing Industrial Relations and Modernisation of Labour Law – LiberAmicorum in Honour of Professor Marco Biagi, pp. 93-112, Kluwer Law International, The Hague, 2003 (xxviii + 469).
“Freedom of Association”, in R Blanpain (ed), Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations in Industrialised Market Economies, pp. 231-74, (8th ed), Kluwer Law International, The Hague, 2004 (xxxii + 664 pp.).
“The Law of Conciliation and Arbitration”, with Kirby MD, in J Isaac & S Macintyre (eds) The New Province for Law and Order, pp. 98-138, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2004 (xxii + 431).
“The Future of Labour Law: Is there a Role for International Labour Standards?” , in C Barnard, S Deakin & G S Morris (eds) The Future of Labour Law – LiberAmicorum for Sir Bob Hepple QC, pp. 253-73, Hart Publishing, Oxford, 2004 (xviii + 320).
“Ethical Employment Practices and the Law”, in A Pinnington, R Macklin and T Campbell (eds) Human Resource Management: Ethics and Employment, pp. 81-101, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2007 (xii & 347 pp.)
“Employment and Industrial Law”, in I Freckleton and H Selby (eds) Appealing to the Future: Michael Kirby and his legacy, pp. 345-370, Lawbook Co, Sydney, 2009 (xcv + 996 pp.)
“Freedom of Association”, in R Blanpain (ed), Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations in Industrialised Market Economies, pp. 275-322 (10th ed), Wolters Kluwer, Alphen ann den Rijn, 2010 (xxxvi + 806 pp.)
Articles in refereed journals
“Transmission of All or Part of a Business: A Neglected Issue in Australian Industrial and Employment Law” Australian Business Law Review, 26: 162-83 (1998)
“The ILO and the Protection of Fundamental Human Rights in Australia” Melbourne University Law Review, 22: 239-80 (1998)
“Transformation of Labour and Future of Labour Law in Europe: An Australian Perspective” Comparative Labour Law & Policy Journal, 20: 635-80 (1999)
“One Hundred Years of the Conciliation and Arbitration Power: A Province Lost?” Melbourne University Law Review, 24: 839-65 (2000)
“The Evolving Employment Relationship and the New Economy” Bulletin of Comparative Labour Relations 41: 1-27 (2001) [with Fenwick, C]
“The Transfer of Business Provisions of the Fair Work Act in National and International Context” Australian Journal of Labour Law 23: 39-59 (2009) [with Shi, E]
“A Retreat from Individualism? The Fair Work Act 2009 and the Re-collectivisation of Australian Labour Law” Industrial Law Journal 40: 116-45 (2011)
“Good Faith Bargaining Down Under” Comparative Labor Law and Policy Journal 33: 257-96 (2012) [with Nuttall, P]