Getting to Melbourne
What are you waiting for? Pack your bags and get to Melbourne!
Essentials to pack
Pack clothes and shoes for all seasons: jeans, t-shirts, pullovers/jumpers, jackets, casual shirts, casual shoes. Melbourne is famous for its “four seasons in one day” so it does get cold in winter and hot in spring and summer. Consider packing one formal outfit for any events or interviews you may need to attend.
Don’t forget your banking information and bank card, it’s also useful to have a small amount of cash with you. Have a think about what valuables you will need e.g. jewellery, camera, bicycle, laptop, mobile phone, iPod. If you are an international student don’t forget your passport with student visa.
Pack a folder with of a copy of your RMIT offer letter, acceptance letter and electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE), driver's license, birth certificate, emergency contact details, accommodation reference. If you have a medical condition talk to your doctor before you leave and ask if there is anything you need from them to ensure continuity of treatment e.g. a referral letter outlining your treatment and medication details.
And if you wear glasses, don’t forget to pack a spare pair of glasses or contact lenses.
Before you move to Melbourne you may need to arrange temporary or short term accommodation while you become more familiar with the city and find a long term place to live. There are a number of temporary and long term accommodation options and don’t forget our Student Support Advisors at RMIT Connect are here to help you with any accommodation questions you may have.
Many students are daunted by their first experience of living away from home and find the transition into a new city or country easier if they don’t have to adjust to independent living upon arrival.
Homestay accommodation aims to provide students with a family-like environment with utility costs included and the option of meals at an additional cost.
Find out more about homestay options.
Airport pick-up service
RMIT University organises arrival transfers for new international students. This free service is available to new arriving international student who have been accepted into an RMIT program as a full-fee paying international student for the first time.
Allied Chauffeured Cars Australia Pty Ltd (Allied) operates this airport pick-up service for RMIT University.
To request this service, please book with Allied
- You must book your airport pick-up at least five (5) working days prior to your arrival in Melbourne.
- If changes are required after you have made the booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please allow three (3) working days to receive your booking confirmation. If you did not receive it, please contact Allied directly at email@example.com to request your booking confirmation.
- A ‘No Show’ fee AU$105 applies if you have requested for airport pick-up but fail to arrive on the scheduled flight or cancel the service or inform Allied of any changes.
- In some circumstances it may be necessary to make a charge. Please refer to Additional Charges (PDF 261kb). If applicable, these will be communicated to you by email.
- Accompanying family members arriving with the student will be picked up at no extra charge (provided the passengers and their baggage fit in a standard sedan).
- Allied will provide carry space for standard airline baggage allowances. You will have to arrange a taxi to transport any excess baggage that do not fit in a standard sedan‘s boot to your address.
Where to meet your driver
It is important that you read the information in your Airport pick-up confirmation email which provides details on where to meet Allied’s driver.
Allied’s driver will be waiting for you at the Meeting Point (large red sign) located near OPTUS store/ near the Travelex Foreign Exchange counter at Terminal 2 (T2) arrival hall. Melbourne Airport Map (PDF 466kb).
Allied’s driver will be holding a ‘RMIT University’ signage (PDF 18kb).
If you are unable to locate Allied’s driver or experience a delay, you must call Allied at:
- 1800 350 850 - Free call from public phone in Australia
- +613 8383 9999 - Calling from Overseas
Student Welcome Desk Service at Terminal 2
The Student Welcome Desk at Melbourne Airport is a one-stop shop for information and advice. The friendly staff will be able to provide general information you may need upon arrival.
This desk operated by City of Melbourne is located at: Travellers Information Service, International Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor at Terminal 2.
Please visit the Student Welcome Desk webpage.
Alternative transfers options from the Airport
There are other options to travel from the airport to the city or your destination.
You can take a taxi from designated taxi ranks located outside the terminals.
Alternatively, make your way from the airport to Melbourne city via Skybus.
RMIT International works with Student Accommodation Services Pty Ltd (SAS) to provide students with homestay placement services.
Homestay is full board accommodation, usually provided in a suburban household with your own furnished room. It is a great way to learn the Australian culture and improve your English.
Please request homestay directly with SAS.
- You must have accepted your offer, received your student visa and booked your flight to Melbourne before making a homestay request.
- SAS must receive your online homestay request at least 10 working days’ notice prior to your arrival date.
- You must stay a minimum duration of four weeks stay with the host family.
Homestay placement fee
A homestay placement fee AU$280 must be paid when you apply for homestay. Please use RMIT University online payments to pay the homestay placement fee.
- Enter student number, starting with 3 (without S).
- In ‘Payment’ type drop box, select ‘Homestay Placement Fee’.
- Once the payment is approved, email the web payment receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the homestay placement fee is paid with program tuition deposit, please forward a copy of the telegraphic transfer receipt to email@example.com.