Overdue loans and daily fines
To ensure fair access to our resources for all Library users, there are fines for the late return of items. You can help make our borrowing service work well for everyone by returning items by their due date.
The Library will renew your items automatically, unless there is a hold request, or you reach a maximum borrowing time of 12 months (3 months for CAVAL borrowers).
Overdue loans (less than 3 months)
If you don’t return the items by their due date:
- Your borrowing rights will be suspended at all RMIT University Library sites
- You will be fined $0.50 per item for each day the item is overdue and $5.00 per hour for overdue Reserve material
- You will not be able to pick up holds or borrow from our Libraries
If you want to borrow again, you will need to:
- Return overdue items through the chute and wait for us to clear them from your record.
- Pay in full any accumulated overdue fines that reached $50 and above (RMIT staff) or $25 and above (all other borrowers).
If an item becomes more than 3 months overdue (90 days), we assume the item is lost. We will calculate and charge the item replacement cost and overdue fees (50 cents per day overdue = $25.00). You won’t be able to borrow until you pay the replacement cost or return the item. If you return the item before 180 days overdue the replacement cost will be waived and only the related overdue charges will remain.
Once an item is 6 months overdue (180 days) it will be removed from your record and considered for re-ordering by the Library. You will need to pay the full invoiced replacement cost and associated overdue fees. The Library will not accept returns after this date.
The replacement cost is based on actual costs as defined by the Library.
Returned item still on your record? (Claims returned)
If you believe you have returned an item, but it is still showing on your library record, please contact the Library where you returned the item, or use the claims returned form so that the problem can be resolved.
Answers to questions about the claims returned process are available.
Lost, never borrowed, damaged, or stolen library items
Please report any lost, damaged or stolen items to Library staff. You will be liable for the replacement cost as defined by the Library for any lost or damaged items, as well as any overdue fines. Replacement copies will not be accepted.
If there are genuine extenuating circumstances, let us know and we will try to help in any way possible.
Paying your fine
You can pay via EFTPOS or credit card at any Library site. Please retain your receipt for your own reference.
Cash or cheques are NOT accepted.
If you disagree with the Library fine
Talk to a staff member at the service desk of any Library. We will consider all legitimate concerns about library fines. We will NOT accept the following reasons:
- Lack of knowledge of library policy
- Unwillingness to take responsibility for material loaned to a third party
- Forgetting the due date
- Not receiving library reminders, either via email or in the mail
- Email inbox was full
- Unable to visit the library often or distance from the library
- Disagreement with library fine policy
- Returning items to another library by mistake
- Not being on campus
- Semester breaks, summer vacation, or on placement
- Changed opening hours