Herbert and Inge Littauer Nursing Scholarship
If you are a full-time student with at least one year of your nursing diploma or degree left to complete, and can demonstrate disadvantage, this scholarship can provide assistance towards your study expenses.
Applications now closed.
Value and duration
The scholarship provides $2500 as a one-off payment.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa holder
- be enrolled full-time in the standard semester 1 and 2 in the Diploma of Nursing (C5313) or the Bachelor of Nursing (BP032) at RMIT in 2019
- be able to demonstrate financial and/or educational disadvantage such as:
- receiving a Government tested low income benefit or having a Centrelink Health Care Card
- having a long term medical condition or disability which impacts your study
- experiencing difficult family circumstances
- have/will be relocating from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT
- were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- are a current or former refugee
- completed your secondary education at a School Network Access Program school
- have at least one year of your program to complete in 2019.
Preference will be given to students who are current or former refugees. Students who meet the following criteria will also be considered:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders
- Applicants who were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- Applicants who have relocated from a rural/regional location to study at RMIT in Melbourne.
Previous recipients are encouraged to apply.
Postgraduate students are ineligible to apply.
How to apply
The link to the application form will be provided here once applications open.
Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide different types of evidence and material to support your scholarship application. Applications without supporting documents will not be considered.
Please visit Supporting Your Application for more information..
You will need:
- A copy of your current or former Permanent Humanitarian Visa or refugee documentation from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (if applicable)
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Discuss your passion for studying in your chosen field, including the steps you have taken to achieve your educational goals.
- What are your future plans and career aspirations?
- How do you intend to use this scholarship and how will it assist you to achieve academic success?
- Discuss any difficult circumstances you have faced that have affected your education.
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Applications for 2019 open 8 August 2018.
Applications now closed.Applications for 2019 close 11:59PM Sunday 18 November 2018. No late applications will be accepted.
Terms and conditions
View the Coursework Scholarships Office’s Scholarships and Grants Terms and Conditions (PDF 464kb, 30p).
The Herbert and Inge Littauer Nursing Scholarship is offered in memory of Herbert and Inge Littauer who arrived in Australia as refugees from Germany in 1938/39 and began new lives. The opportunity to study nursing gave Inge Littauer the incentive to learn English, gain a recognised qualification and in turn contribute in practical ways to her community. Inge Littauer was an intelligent woman who demonstrated courage and determination. She paved new ways in her own life and would want others to have similar opportunities.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Only successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account. If you have not received an offer via email by 31 March 2019, your application has been unsuccessful.