Ms Margaret Stewart
Vocational Business Education
+61 3 9925 5493
College of Business
Margaret is a teacher in the School of Vocational Business Education. Her subject areas cover management skills for frontline team leaders and managers.
Margaret worked in the fields of industrial relations and human resource management before taking up teaching at RMIT.
She has taught at Masters, Diploma and Certificate levels, and supervised research students in the RMIT Masters of Aviation. Her delivery and curriculum development experience includes programs for retail trainee managers, human resource programs for overseas delegations, online delivery and classroom teaching for young adult and mature-age students.
Over the period 1997 to 2013 she has worked, lived and studied in China on several occasions in Wuhan, Nanhai, Xiantao, Xiangfang and Beijing.
Her position at RMIT is part-time. She works weekends as a trainer in a small business.
- Heyes, F and Stewart, MH 2004 Occupational Health and Safety, McGraw Hill Book Company, Sydney
- Kao, Li-Hua, Lee, Kai-Hui and Stewart, MH 2006 ‘Development of Utilities to Assess Airline Cabin Safety Culture’. Paper presented at 2006 Regional Air Safety Seminar, Melbourne, June 2-4, 2006
- Li-Hua Kao, Margaret Stewart , Kai-Hui Lee 2009 ‘Using structural equation modeling to predict cabin safety outcomes’ among Taiwanese airlines’, Transportation Research Part E, Vol.45, p.357－365, 2009
- Stewart, MH and Townsend, S 1996 Managing People – Workplace Practice, McGraw Hill Book Company, Sydney
Industry Training Experience:
- Superannuation company
- Beverages manufacturer
- Community health organisation
- Retail Hardware company
- Student supervision in pharmaceutical companies, pathology, R & D companies
- Business Research Methods
- Change Management at the team level
- Human Resource Management
- Performance Management
- Supervisory and frontline skills
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Risk Management
Masters Student Supervision:
- 2004 - 2006 Masters of Aviation Research Project
Part-time Monday to Thursday.
- Masters in Education Leadership & Management (RMIT)
- Diploma of VET Practice
- Cert IV Mandarin language
- Grad Dip Education & Training (Melb)
- RSA/Cambridge Certificate of English Language Training for Adults (CELTA) (RMIT)
- Grad Dip Management (RMIT)
- Grad Dip Industrial Relations (BCAE)
- B.Arts (Govt & Public Policy) (UniQld)
- 1970s: Worked for a state local member in far north Queensland; the University of Queensland as an education research assistant, and administration officer in Department of Social Security.
- 1980s: Selected for graduate recruitment program in the Department of Defence in Canberra, followed by several years’ employment in the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations. In Victoria, worked for unions and later an employer as an Industrial Officer.
- 1990s: Worked in Employee Relations, then moved to teaching at RMIT and a small business.
- 2000s: Employed at RMIT as a teacher, including periods of leave to work in China as a teacher and a director of a student holiday language camp. Studied Chinese language in Wuhan.