Dr Sarvesh Kumar Soni
School of Science
+61 3 9925 6678
Science, Engineering and Health
- Research Fellow: Nanobiochemistry, Hybrid functional biomaterials and Environmental Microbiology
Major research themes
- Microbial enzyme production (both by sub-merged and solid state fermentation), purification, biochemical characterization and application in animal feed, biomass conversion to value added products (biofuels) and pesticides (organophosphates) removal from environment.
- Biophysical and kinetic studies of Biocatalyst-Nanomaterial interface
- Biocatalytic and Bio-macromolecular (Peptide, Protein, Nucleic acids, Lipids, Nano-cellulose) self-assembly and applications in drug delivery, enzyme reusability/stability, biotransformation, gene transfer (transformation and transfection) and toxic gas sensing
- Study the interactions of Biomolecules –nanoparticles/ Carbon Nanotube/ Graphene/ Graphene Quantum Dots/ Gold nanoparticles
- Hybrid biomaterials from agricultural solid waste and application
- PhD, Microbiology (Nanobiochemistry), 2010, NCIM Resource Centre, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India. (Best Research Scholar for exploring novel applications of Enzymes in Nanotechnology)
- MSc, Microbiology, 2002, MDS University, Ajmer, India (3rd Rank in University)
- BSc, Biology, Chemistry, 2000, Rajasthan University, Jaipur, India (1st Rank in college)
- Sept. 2014- onwards, Research Fellow, School of Science, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Oct. 2015-onwards, Research Fellow, BioMechatronics Devices & Systems lab, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Monash University, Clayton, Australia.
- Sept. 2013-Sept. 2014, CSIRO-RMIT Research Scientist, worked jointly with Centre for Advanced Materials and Industrial Chemistry (CAMIC), RMIT and Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Clayton, Melbourne, Australia.
- Feb 2010-Aug 2013, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, School of Applied Sciences, CAMIC, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Aug 2009-Feb 2010, Endeavour Post-Doctoral Fellow, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia.
- July 2004-July 2009, PhD scholar at National Collection of Industrial Microorganisms, National Chemical Laboratory (University of Pune), Pune, India, with Dr J.M. Khire. Title: ‘Phytase from Aspergillus niger NCIM 563: Isolation, purification, characterization and its applications.’
- Dec 2002 -Jan 2004, Junior Research Fellow at Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, India, on ‘Multi drug resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis’ and associated molecular mechanisms..
- Corporate member of Australian Research Management Society (ARMS), Australia, 2014-Onwards.
- Honorary membership of Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI), Australia. 2011-onwards.
- ECR member of Australian Nanotechnology Network (ANN), 2009-onwards.
- Member of Proteomics and Metabolomics Victoria, 2009-onwards.
- Member of Association of Microbiologists of India. 2004-onwards
- Member of Society of Biological Chemists of India. 2005-onwards
Awards, honors and recognition
(A) Research Based
- Early Career Researcher grant of Australian Nanotechnology Network to attending and presenting research work at ‘Nanotechnology Entrepreneurship workshop’, Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus, Australia. 10-11 June, 2015.
- Early Career Researcher grant of Australian Nanotechnology Network to attending and presenting research work at Nanobiotechnology session, ANN-ECR workshop, UTS, Sydney, Australia. 10-11 July, 2014
- Corporate membership of Australian Research Management Society (ARMS), Australia.
- RMIT-CAMIC Achievement Award 2013 for Excellence in international collaborations: forging partnerships with India, RMIT University, Australia. 3rd Dec., 2013.
- Best Presentation Award at Australia-India Joint Symposium on Smart Nano-Materials-2011. Presented by Dr Megan Clark (Chief of CSIRO), Australia and Prof CNR Rao (Chair, Scientific Advisory council of Prime minister of India), JNCASR, India. 2-4 Nov. 2011, RMIT University, Australia.
- Endeavour research award (Australian government’s internationally highly competitive, merit –based scholarship program) 2009 by Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Australian Government. (Aug. 2009 to Feb. 2010).
- Best research scholar (Kirti Sangoram award) 2008 of National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
- Award of foreign travel grant from “Department of Science and technology”, Government of India for oral presentation at the 110th meeting of The American Ceramics Society, October 5-9, 2008, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Graduate Excellence in Material Science (GEMS) award by Basic Science division of The American Ceramics Society at 110th meeting of The American Ceramics Society, October 5-9, 2008, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Best Posters Award at MS 2007, Symposium on Recent Developments in Mass Spectrometry Applications, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India. May 2007.
- Best Poster award on National Science Day at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India, Feb. 2006.
- Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), conducted by Indian Institute of Technology in Feb. 2002.
- Secured Post graduate Research Fellowship (Life sciences) by CSIR, India in Dec. 2001 and June 2002. (India’s highly competitive examination for research fellowship for the period of 5 years, success rate is < 2%).
(B) Technology Entrepreneurship
- Selected in final mentoring round (business idea in top 250 out of 12,000 entries) of The Power of ideas initiative by The Economic times, Times of India Group (Largest publishing houses of India) India, June 2009.
- Winner of Concepto-08 (a technology idea competition conducted by NCL-TEC and Venture centre, NCL.) Proof-of-Concept Grant Recommendation Award. Recommendation to Director, NCL to support a brief, in-house exercise on the proposed technology idea. Feb.2009.
Contribution to successful research grants of CAMIC
- Modification of Cellulosic solid waste for its water absorbance performance Dept. of Education (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- ‘Nano-materials based drug delivery’. Dept. of Education (Endeavour executive Award), $ 20,000
- Synthesis of Cadmium Telluride (CdTe) nanoparticles and their bio-labelling applications.Dept. of Education (Endeavour research Award) $25,000
- Size-dependent catalytic reactivity of metal oxide catalysts, CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia, $50,000 (+ matching funding by RMIT)
- Lactobacillus (Milk bacteria) Protoplast as a biocompatible sub-micron/nano drug delivery vehicle for controlled drug release in cancer therapy, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- Synthesis of hybrid Nano-biocomposite of bioactive peptides and functional nanomaterials for anticancer applications, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- Utilisation of carbon dioxide (CO2) using nanoporous catalysts, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- Preparation of CNT-Biocatalyst for Biofuels Production, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- Fluoride removal by nanofibers isolated from agricultural waste materials, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- The use of human erythrocyte RBCs as a drug delivery system for controlled drug release for cancer therapy, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- Enzymatic synthesis of carbon nanotubes / hydroxyapatite biocomposite – an artificial bone material from cheap agricultural residues, DEEWR (Endeavour research Award), $25,000
- Efficient enzymatic production of metal ion chelators (myo-inositol and several myo-inositol phosphoesters) from agricultural residues, In house project by the National Chemical Laboratory Research foundation, INR 500K ($9,500)
(This grant was the very first example of in-house funding to a research scholar apart from his PhD research objectives, leading to commercialisation of concept, independent thinking and leadership.)
Selected journal articles (refereed)
- Microfluidic synthesis of nanoparticles and their bio‒sensing applications, Jyoti Boken, Sarvesh K Soni*, Dinesh Kumar, Critical Review in Analytical Chemistry, 2016, DOI: 10.1080/10408347.2016.1169912. IF= 1.618 (*corresponding author)
- Self-assembled lipase nanosphere templated one-pot biogenic synthesis of silica hollow spheres in Ionic Liquid [Bmim][PF6], Sampa Sarkar, Kashuram Mantri, Dinesh Kumar, Suresh Bhargava*, Sarvesh K. Soni*, RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 105800 – 105809. IF= 3.907 (*corresponding author)
- Charge-switchable gold nanoparticles for enhanced enzymatic thermostability, Shiv Shankar, Sarvesh K Soni, Hemant Daima, Selvakannan Periasamy, Vipul Bansal, Suresh K Bhargava, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2015, 17, 21517-21524. IF= 4.493
- Intrinsic therapeutic and biocatalytic roles of ionic liquid mediated self-assembled platinum-phytase nanosphere, Sarvesh K Soni*, Sampa Sarkar, Dhiman Sarkar, Selvakannan R. Periasamy, Suresh K Bhargava, RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 62871-62881. IF= 3.907 (*corresponding author)
- Agcore−Aushell bimetallic nanocomposites: Gold shell thickness dependent study for SERS enhancement, Parul Khurana, Sheenam Thatai, Surendra Prasad, Sarvesh K. Soni, Dinesh Kumar, Microchemical Journal, 2016, 124, 819-823. IF=3.051
- Self-assembled functional nanostructure of plasmid DNA with Ionic Liquid [Bmim][PF6]:Enhanced efficiency in bacterial gene transformation, Sarvesh K Soni*, Sampa Sarkar, Nedaossadat Mirzadeh, PR. Selvakannana, Suresh K Bhargava, Langmuir, 31(16), 2015, 4722-4732. IF= 4.457 (*corresponding author)
- Trace colorimetric detection of Pb2+ using plasmonic gold nanoparticles and silica-gold nanocomposites, Sheenam Thatai, Parul Khurana, Surendra Prasad, Sarvesh K Soni, Dinesh Kumar, Microchemical Journal, 2016, 124, 104-110. IF= 3.051
- Structural evaluation and catalytic performance of nano-Au supported on nanocrystalline Ce0.9Fe0.1O2-δ solid solution for oxidation of carbon monoxide and benzylamine. P. Sudarsanam, , PR. Selvakannan, Sarvesh K. Soni, Suresh K. Bhargava, Benjaram M. Reddy, RSC Advances, 2014, 4, 43460-43469. IF=3.907
- Phytase isozymes from Aspergillus niger NCIM 563 under solid state fermentation: Biochemical characterization and their correlation with submerged fermentation. Kavita Bhavsar, Priyanka Buddhiwant, Sarvesh K. Soni, Dilip Depen, Sampa Sarkar & J. M. Khire, Process Biochemistry, 48, 2013, 1618-1625. IF= 2.909
- A facile approach for the dispersion of regenerated cellulose in aqueous system in the form of nanoparticles, Mukund Adsul, Sarvesh K. Soni, Suresh K. Bhargava, Vipul Bansal, Biomacromolecules, 2012, 13, 2890−2895. IF= 5.75
- Self-Assembled histidine acid phosphatase nanocapsules in ionic liquid [BMIM][BF4] as functional templates for hollow metal nanoparticles. Sarvesh K. Soni, Selvakannan Periasamy, Suresh Bhargava, Vipul Bansal, Langmuir, 28 (28), 2012, 10389-10397. IF= 4.457
- Cationic Amino Acids Specific Biomimetic Silicification in Ionic Liquid: A Quest to Understand the Formation of 3-D Structures in Diatoms. Rajesh Ramanathan, Jos Campbell, Sarvesh K. Soni, Suresh K. Bhargava and Vipul Bansal. PLoS One, 6(3), 2011: e17707. IF=4.244
- Self-assembled enzyme nanocapsules in Ionic Liquid [BMIM-BF4] as templating nanoreactors for hollow silica nanocontainers. Sarvesh K. Soni, Rajesh Ramanathan, Peter J. Coloe, Vipul Bansal, Suresh K. Bhargava. Langmuir, 2010, 26 (20), 16020–16024. IF=4.457
- Purification and characterization of two distinct acidic phytases with broad pH stability from A. Niger NCIM 563. Sarvesh K. Soni, Ajit S. Magadum, J. M. Khire. World J Microbiol Biotechnol (2010) 26: 2009-2018. IF=1.779
- Production and partial characterization of two types of phytase from Aspergillus niger NCIM 563 under submerged fermentation conditions. Sarvesh K. Soni, J.M. Khire, World J Microbiol Biotechnol (2007) 23:1585–1593. IF=1.779
- Aspergillus Niger NCIM 563 5S r RNA gene fragment. NCBI GenBank accession number. Sarvesh K. Soni, J.M. Khire. bankit1327764 GU984047.
- Fabrication of carbon nanorods and grapheme nanoribbons from a metal–organic framework, Pradip pachfule, Dhanraj shinde, Mainak majumder and Qiang xu, Nature Chemistry, 2016, 10.1038/NCHEM.2515
For microscopy measurements and related material characterisation.
- A novel process for the simultaneous synthesis of inositol phosphate, myo-inositol phosphate and calcium phosphate from agricultural residues Sarvesh K. Soni, Dilip Depen, J.M.Khire, R.P. Singh. Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, 529/DEL/2008.
- Peer Reviewer: Scientific Reports, Enzy and Microb. Tech., W J Microbiol and Biotech, Process Biochem, PLoS One, Langmuir, J Mat. Chem., Nanotech, J of Chem Tech & Bio tech.
- Editorial Board member for The Henry Journal of Nanoscience, Nanomedicine & Nanobiology. [Since 03/2016]
- Editorial board member of Asian J of Medical Sciences (eISSN 2091-0576) (IF 2.94) [Till 08/2013]
- Joint Secretory, Aus-India Joint Symposia on Smart Nanomaterials, RMIT, VIC. [11/2011]
- President of NCL-Technology and Entrepreneurship Club, NCL, Pune, India [Till 04/2009].
Postgraduate supervision and teaching
- Mentor for ONPS2335 Professional Scientist course, 2013-onwards
- Registered category 1 (primary) supervisor for Higher Degree by Research (PhD) candidates.
- Supervised Endeavour post-doctoral fellows and assisting visiting fellows in Centre for Advanced Materials and Industrial Chemistry group for their initial Nanbiochemistry training, experiment planning, data interpretation and manuscript writing. (2009-onwards).
Team Leader International Technology based Business Plan Competitions
- Biotech Student Entrepreneur Team (BEST) India, workshop and competition, conducted by Association of Biotech Led Enterprise (ABLE), Bangalore, India. 25-27th July 2009.
- India Innovation Pioneer Challenge (all India short list for) conducted by Indo-US Science and Technology Forum, DST and Intel, at Fulbright house, New Delhi. May, 2008.
- Young Entrepreneur Scheme (YES) Biotechnology (all India short list), for ‘Neuragreen Corporation’ (A technology Enterprise), conducted by DBT, FCO, UKTI at British council, New Delhi, India. Sept 2007.
Additional professional qualifications
- Qualified the Certificate Course in Computing (CIC) from Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi, India
- Successfully completed workshop on ‘PATENT LAW’, conducted by NCL-TEC, Indian patent office, Mumbai and GMGC.
- Poems (Hindi) published in book ‘DESHANTAR’ a collection of poems from different part of the world by Hindi Academy, New Delhi, India. Aug 2012.
- Actively participates (2009-onwards) at Sahitya Sandhya (literary evening), Melbourne as an honorary poet.
- General Secretary (2008-2009) of the ‘Hall of residence I’, National Chemical Laboratory, India.
- Winner, ‘39th Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Memorial Cricket Tournament’ (A national level tournament), NEIST, Jorhat, Assam, India, Dec 2007.