Learning and Teaching Investment Fund 2013
Inclusive teaching project stage two: embedding argument mapping instruction into three courses with a high proportion of ESL students in Melbourne, Saigon and Hanoi
Dr Berenice Nyland
- Tom Coverdale
- Carol Witney
- Sam Graham
This project focuses on embedding skills into the curriculum. It will introduce three cohorts of students to the diagrammatic technique of argument mapping. The aim is to embed this high impact strategy for teaching argument and critical thinking into three courses (two face-to-face, one online) for the benefit of students in general, and students with English as a Second Language (ESL) in particular.
- students report improved confidence about making arguments in focus group and survey data
- training for staff in the targeted courses
- embedding of the strategy into the curriculum in future years
- online resources on argument mapping for the use of future intakes
- training offered to all RMIT staff through DevelopME.
- Download full report [PDF, 254 KB, 11 pages]