Mrs Sally Parrott
+61 3 9925 5175
College of Design and Social Context
Sally Parrott is the Program Manager of the Advertising and Public Relations programs in the School of Vocational Business Education in the College of Business. Sally is responsible for the design and delivery of six face to face and blended delivery programs and industry based professional development in Advertising and Public Relations.
Sally Parrott is the Program Manager of the Advertising and Public Relations programs in the School of Vocational Business Education in the College of Business. Sally is responsible for the design and delivery of six face to face and blended delivery programs across Advertising and Public Relations and a series of industry based professional development in Public Relations. Sally specialises in connecting students and teachers with industry and global projects.
Passionate about global competency, Sally is currently completing a Masters degree (by research) researching the development of intercultural communications by tertiary students. Sally is also the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Champion for VBE and was awarded a Global WIL fellowship in 2015. This fellowship enabled Sally to grow interest on and support for the development of global WIL projects College-wide, resulting in a Virtual Global WIL Projects Google Site with extensive resources for all stakeholders which has been shared across the university.
Sally was recognised for her work in global WIL with a University Award for Outstanding Impact in Learning and Teaching in 2015.
Sally has produced two projects for the RMIT Global Learning by Design (GLbD) series:
- The VBE WIL Placement Online Pilot, which connected staff, students and industry worldwide through a global online placement. This resulted in a model and resources for conducting WIL placements online which is shared on the RMIT website.
- Virtual Global WIL, which provides RMIT students with the opportunity to coordinate a global project across three cultures and time zones, mirroring the manner in which global business operates. Participation in this project provides valuable skill development and greatly enhances graduate attributes.
An extensive report including critical factors for success, timelines, stakeholder engagement and project planning templates, technology wheel, Google Apps map and templates were produced and have been shared university wide. Both projects are available at this link.
A special interest in online technologies lead to Sally being awarded a Learning and Teaching Investment Fund (LTIF) grant in 2014 to design an online Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment tool which has been implemented across many Vocational Education schools university-wide to help meet compliance requirements. In 2014 Sally also helped design and place the Diploma of Business (Public Relations) online and is working towards developing the Advanced Diploma of Business (Public Relations) online. Sally helped develop an ePortfolio approach for the school in 2015 and built an ePortfolio Google Site to help staff and students understand the usage and application of ePortfolios. Sally is currently working in a team developing four online MOOCS for the Future Learn Platform.
Sally spent time with the Office of Director of Learning and Teaching on secondment in 2014 developing an operational framework for how to access and use Information Communication Technology to enhance the success of WIL for all stakeholders (Student, University and Client) in the pre-phase, during WIL and post-phase.
Sally has presented at a number of conferences, expos and symposiums on Global WIL, using online technologies and blended learning. She is a member of the International Education Association of Australia (IEAA) and has presented for the Australian Collaborative Education Network (ACEN) and the RMIT Learning and Teaching Expo.
- Swinburne University Judith Bissland Scholarship: Innovation Award
- Swinburne University TAFE Teacher of the Year Award
- Swinburne University Vice-Chancellors Award for Teaching
- RMIT University Award for Outstanding Impact in Learning and Teaching
- RMIT College of Business Teaching Award
Sally manages over 300 students and 20 teachers across vocational Advertising and Public Relations programs and has a special interest in connecting students with industry through work integrated learning projects, placements and global WIL. Sally is also active in convening the program advisory committees, student staff consultative committees, industry workshops, industry-student awards events plus new program and curriculum design. With a keen interest in online technologies, Sally has been active in developing new approaches to Blackboard shell usage, online assessments, usage of Google Apps for learning and teaching, ePortfolios, global business communication tools, and blended delivery approaches for the school.
- HDR: Masters of Business (Management) by Research candidate (in progress)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Professional Writing and Editing
- Australian Diploma of Training and Assessment
- Victorian Diploma Vocational Education and Training
- Diploma of Business Studies Advertising
- TAA40104 Cert IV in Training and Assessment
A professional writer for 25 years, Sally has honed her skills across a selection of writing disciplines from journalism to advertising. The majority of her career has been spent as an advertising copywriter working in Australian and international advertising agencies where she has been recognised by a number of awards including those for her specialty: writing for radio.
- Silver, Golden Stylus Radio Award
- Finalist, Golden Stylus Radio Award
- Finalist, New York Print Award
- Lurzers Archive Vol. 5
Sally is also active in the field of intercultural communications and global competency through her research and is the member of many groups including the International Education Association of Australia (IEAA). She posts through her LinkedIn page on global competency.