Dr Stefanie Feih
School of Engineering
Science, Engineering and Health
Dr Feih is a Senior Scientist at the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology and Honorary Associate Professor at RMIT. Dr Feih is internationally recognised as an expert on design and optimization of lightweight structures and joints.
Dr Feih is interested in all aspects of lightweight research with special focus on projects involving additive manufacture and design of advanced structures (metal), biomimetic design (metal and composite), numerical analysis and optimisation of advanced joints, fire testing of lightweight materials and material model development. She has extensive international research experience and manages research projects with strong collaborative aspects with industry and international research partners. Dr Feih has published over 120 journal and conference papers and book chapters.
Dr Feih continues to supervise graduate students at RMIT and remains actively involved in on-going research projects at RMIT on the fire structural response of aluminium structures funded by the Office of Naval Research.
Current Singapore grants:
- 2015 – 2020, A*Star / SERC funded Additive Manufacturing Centre S$5,000,000 (Co-PI):
Development of materials, processes, equipment and standards for 3D additive manufacturing. Leader for WP3: Design, simulation and modelling of 3D additive manufacturing components
- 2015 – 2017, A*Star / SERC funded industry project with ST Aerospace (PI):
Evaluating a composite scarf repair scheme for improvement
Opportunities exist for collaborative projects between RMIT and SIMTech for postgraduate studies and industry attachments (minimum GPA requirements apply as stipulated by the Singapore government). For further information, please contact Dr Feih.
Dr Feih can be contacted via email:
- WSQ Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) accreditation, SIMTech, Singapore, 2015
- Grad Cert Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 2007
- PhD (Engineering), University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, 2002
- MEng (Mechanical Engineering), Cornell University, USA, 1997
- Dipl.-Ingenieur (Mechanical Engineering) 1st Class Honours, Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany, 1998
- 2015-, Adjunct Associate Research Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
- 2015-, Honorary Associate Professor, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering , RMIT University, Australia
- 2014-, Senior Scientist II, Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech), Singapore
- 2010-2014, Senior Lecturer, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2010, Senior Research Fellow, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2005-2009, Research Fellow, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2002-2005, Postdoctoral Researcher, Risø National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark
- 2013 – 2017, Member of Executive Council of International Committee on Composite Materials
- 2015, CACRC Aerospace Repair Techniques Task Group
15 years of research experience in composite materials, including manufacture and testing of composites, fire properties of composites, damage modelling of composites (FE analysis) and surface modification of engineering fibres for composite materials.
- A.P. Mouritz, S. Feih (PI), A. Afaghi Khatibi, B. Lattimer, S. Case, Z. Mathys, ‘Fire Modeling and Testing of Aluminum Alloys and Structures, 2013, US$900,000
- S. Feih (CI), A.P. Mouritz, B.Y. Lattimer and S.W. Case, United Stats Office of Naval Research Grant, ‘Fire structural properties of sandwich composites, 2012, US$110,000
- S. Feih (CI), A.P. Mouritz, B.Y. Lattimer and S.W. Case, United Stats Office of Naval Research Grant, ‘Deformation modeling of naval composite structures in fire: sensitivity analysis and optimization, 2011, US$75,000
- A.P. Mouritz, S. Feih (PI), B. Lattimer, S. Case, Z. Mathys, ‘Modeling of aluminum naval structures during and following fire’, 2010-2012, US$900,000
- S. Feih (CI), A.P. Mouritz and A.G. Gibson, United States Office of Naval Research Grant, ‘Mechanistic study of engineering fibres at high temperature, 2008-2010, US$210,000
Over 90 research publications, including 47 journal papers, 47 conference articles, 5 invited presentations and 4 book chapters in the area of composite materials and lightweight metal alloys. A full list of publications can be found at Google Scholar and the RMIT Research Depository.
Selected publications (first and last author)
- L. Burns, A.P. Mouritz and S. Feih, "Strength improvement to composite T-joints under bending though bio-inspired design", Composites Part A, 43(11), 1971-1980, 2012
- P.T. Summers, B.Y. Lattimer, S. Case and S. Feih, "Sensitivity of thermo-structural model for composite laminates in fire", Composites Part A, 43A(5), 783-792, 2012
- P.T. Summers, B.Y. Lattimer, S. Case and S. Feih, "Predicting compression failure of composite laminates in fire", Composites Part A, 43A(5), 773-782, 2012
- S. Feih and A.P. Mouritz, "Tensile properties of carbon fibres and carbon-fibre-polymer composites in fire", Composites Part A, 43A(5), 765-772, 2012
- M.K. Kim, D. J. Elder, C.H. Wang and S. Feih, "Interaction of laminate damage and adhesive disbonding in composite scarf joints subjected to combined in-plane loading and impact, Composite Structures, 94(3), 945-953, 2012
- L. Burns, A.P. Mouritz, D. Pook and S. Feih, "Bio-inspired design of aerospace composite joints for improved damage tolerance", Composite Structures, 94(3), 995-1004, 2012
- S. Feih, E. Kandare, B.Y. Lattimer and A.P. Mouritz, “Structural analysis of compression deformation and failure of aluminium in fire”, Journal of Structural Engineering, 137(7), 728-738, 2011
- S. Feih, E. Boiocchi, , Z. Mathys, G. Mathys, A.G. Gibson and A.P. Mouritz, "Properties of thermally-treated and recycled glass fibres", Composites Part B, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2010.12.020
- S. Feih, Z. Mathys, A.G. Gibson and A.P. Mouritz, "Strength degradation of glass fibers at high temperatures", Journal of Materials Science, 44(2), 392-400, 2009
- S. Feih, Z. Mathys, A.G. Gibson and A.P. Mouritz, "Modeling compressive skin failure of sandwich composites in fire", Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 10(3), 217-245, 2008
- S. Feih, Z. Mathys, A.G. Gibson, M. Robinson and A.P. Mouritz, "Influence of water content on failure of phenolic composites in fire", Polymer Degradation and Stability, 93, 376-382, 2008
- S. Feih, Z. Mathys, A.G. Gibson and A.P. Mouritz, "Tensile strength modeling of glass fiber - polymer composites in fire", Journal of Composite Materials, 41, 2387-2410, 2007
- S. Feih, Z. Mathys, A.G. Gibson and A.P. Mouritz, "Modelling the compression strength of polymer laminates in fire", Composites Part A, 38, 2354-2365, 2007
- S. Feih, A. Thraner, and H. Lilholt, "Tensile strength and fracture surface characterisation of sized and unsized glass fibers", Journal of Materials Science, 40(7), 1615-1623, 2005
- S. Feih and H. R. Shercliff, "Quality assessment of curved composite components in peel joint structures", Composites Part A, 36(3), 397-408, 2005.
- S. Feih and H. R. Shercliff, "Composite failure predictions of single-L joint structures under bending", Composites Part A, 36(3), 381-395, 2005.
- S. Feih, J. Wang, P.K. Kingshott, and B.F. Sørensen, "The influence of fibre sizing on the strength and fracture toughness of glass fibre composites", Composites Part A, 36(2), 245-255, 2005.
- S. Feih and H. R. Shercliff, "Adhesive and composite failure predictions of single-L joint structures under tensile loading", International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 25(1), 47-59, 2005
- M. Brandt, S. Sun, M. Leary, S. Feih, J. Elambasseril and Q. Liu, High-value SLM aerospace components: from design to manufacture, In: Advances in Engineering Systems, Design and Materials. Editor: A. Subic, Advanced Materials Research Vol. 633, Trans Tech Publications, ISBN-13: 978-3-03785-585-0
- D. Elder, B. Qi and S. Feih, "High strain rate behaviour of bonded composite joints", In: Composite joints and connections: principles, modelling and testing, Woodhead Publishing, Editors: P. Camanho and L. Tong, 2011, United Kingdom, ISBN 9781845699901
- A.G. Gibson, S. Feih and A.P. Mouritz, "Developments in characterising the structural behaviour of composites in fire", In: Composite Materials, Springer-Verlag London Limited, 2011, ISBN 978-85729-165-3
- A.P. Mouritz, S. Feih, Z. Mathys and A.G. Gibson, "Mechanical property degradation of naval composite materials in fire", In: Modeling of Naval Composite Structures in Fire, Editors: L. Couchman and A.P. Mouritz, Acclaim Publishers, 2006, Australia, ISBN 0-646-46193-1
- "Recent progress on fire modelling of polymer composites", University of Maryland Baltimore County, Department of Mechanical Engineering, USA, August 2013
- "Properties of Engineering Fibres at High Temperature", Sheffield University, Department of Engineering Materials, UK, July 2008
- "Tensile strength modelling of glass fibre-polymer composites in fire", Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA, April 2008
- "Strength modelling of glass-fibre polymer composites in fire", Sheffield University, Department of Engineering Materials, UK, September 2006
- "Progressive damage growth in composites“, Australian Composite Structures Society, CRC-ACS, Melbourne, July 2004
- "Sizing application on glass fibres and the influence on composite properties", Symposium of the Danish Ceramic Society, December 2003
Accomplishments and achievements
- Supervisor for PhD student winning 1st prize CSIRO/ITA competition in additive manufacture of bio-inspired structures (Inam Ullah)
- Supervisor for 4th year student winning 1st prize CSIRO/Boeing competition in additive manufacture of optimised structures (Nathan Snoxall)
- USA visiting fellowship by the Australian Academy of Science, 2010
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (UK) Award for Composites 2008
- Principal supervisor of winning AIAA student paper 2008 (Lauren Burns)
- Travel grant for ECCOMAS2008 and CIF-5 by the CASS Foundation Ltd
Areas of research currently include:
- Biomimicking of composite materials and lightweight alloys
- Optimum structures through additive manufacture
- Fire performance of composite sandwich materials
- Damage modelling of composite materials
Dr Feih is looking for students (postgraduate and undergraduate) interested in research in the area of biomimicking and fire performance of composite aerospace structures. Both numerical and experimental projects are currently available.