Dr Kyriakos Kourousis
School of Engineering
Science, Engineering and Health
Dr Kyriakos I. Kourousis, Lecturer in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, has several years of experience in the fields of aircraft maintenance, airworthiness, quality control and assurance, engineering and technical/logistics support of aircraft and aeronautical equipment, as an Aeronautical Engineer Officer (Major res.) of the Hellenic Air Force. He was formerly the manager of the Mirage 2000 and Mirage 2000-5 airframe/systems airworthiness, quality control and assurance program, as well as the fleet fatigue monitoring/structural integrity program. He has also served as aircraft maintenance officer and quality control and assurance officer of Mirage 2000 in 114 Fighter Wing at Tanagra, Greece.
He has a broad educational experience in teaching and supervising students at RMIT University and other tertiary education aviation/engineering schools in Europe.
Dr Kourousis is a registered Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the UK Engineering Council, a Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and a Senior Member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- PhD in Solid Mechanics (Dissertation: Plasticity of Metals Subjected to Cyclic Loadings: A Multiplicatively Decomposed Kinematic Hardening Rule), National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 2011
- MS in Computational Mechanics of Solids, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 2003
- GradCert in Tertiary Teaching & Learning, RMIT University, Australia, 2013.
- Degree (BS) in Aeronautical Engineering, Hellenic Air Force Academy, Greece, 2000
- Lecturer (Aerospace & Aviation Engineering), School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, July 2012 – current
- Sabbatical Leave (Training & postdoctoral research in materials engineering), National Technical University of Athens, November 2011 – June 2012
- Staff Officer (Mirage 2000 Airworthiness & Engineering Management, Structural Integrity Program Management), Hellenic Air Force Support Command, October 2005 - November 2011
- Staff Officer (Mirage 2000 Quality Standards & Continuing Airworthiness), Department of Quality Control & Assurance, 114 Fighter Wing, Hellenic Air Force, September 2004 – October 2005
- Head – Engineering Officer (Mirage 2000 Airworthiness Compliance Assurance), Quality Control and Assurance Office, 332 Squadron , 114 Fighter Wing, Hellenic Air Force, May 2002 – September 2004
- Assistant Head – Maintenance Officer, Intermediate Level Maintenance Shops (Mirage 2000, Mirage F.1), Base Maintenance Squadron, 114 Fighter Wing, Hellenic Air Force, November 2000 – May 2002
- Specialisation Training (Engineering Regulations, Applied Aeronautical Engineering, Logistics Support), Hellenic Air Force (various sites), July 2000 – November 2000
- Program Director, Master of Engineering in Aerospace and Aviation, RMIT University, July 2013 - current
- Program Director, Master of Aviation Industry Management, RMIT University, January 2013 - current.
Currently coordinating / teaching:
- AERO2457 Aircraft Maintenance and Airworthiness (undergraduate)
- AERO2347 Aircraft Maintenance (postgraduate)
- AERO2513 Airworthiness Management Frameworks (postgraduate).
Current and past supervision of Final Year Projects/Master Theses (selection):
- BEng Aerospace Engineering: General Aviation Aircraft Flight Data Acquisition and Analysis for Structural and Systems Integrity Monitoring (2014-current)
- BEng Mechanical Engineering FY Project: Investigation of cyclic plasticity response of additive manufactured (SLM) metallic materials (2013-current)
- BSc Aviation FY Projects: General aviation ageing aircraft and maintenance management, safety management in aviation ground handling (2013)
- Master of Aviation Industry Management Thesis: Development of a Holistic Impact Model for the Integrated Maintenance Chain within the Air Transportation System (2014-current), Safety management of aeronautical manufacturing activities (2013).
Aeronautical and Defence Engineering:
- Continuing airworthiness management
- Aircraft engineering, maintenance and technical support
- Aviation safety
- Defence engineering and support.
Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering:
- Material mechanical behaviour modeling
- Cyclic plasticity constitutive modeling
- Light metal plasticity
- Polymer plasticity.
Current and past research projects
- Clothier, R. (CI), Kourousis K. (CI), Australian Airworthiness Assessment of the Northrop Grumman Triton UAS, Northrop Grumman, 2014 ($68,509).
- Kourousis K. (CI), Development and Implementation of Advanced Cyclic Plasticity Models in the Crack Growth Analysis Program (CGAP), Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) – Australian Department of Defence, 2014 (Collaborative Research Project)
- Kourousis K. (CI), Massey K. (CI), Development of a Multilateral Mutual Recognition Framework for Military Airworthiness Authorities, Directorate General Technical Airworthiness (DGTA) – Australian Defence Force, 2013-2014 ($31,818).
- Kourousis K. (CI), Massey K. (CI), Development of Defence Airworthiness Training Coursework, Directorate General Technical Airworthiness (DGTA) – Australian Defence Force, 2013-2014 ($100,000).
Higher Degree by Research supervision
- Senior Supervisor, MEng (Aerospace Engineering) by Research, topic: Development of a military airworthiness mutual recognition framework (L. Purton).
- Senior Supervisor, MEng (Mechanical Engineering) by Research, topic: Optimisation of material modelling techniques for Rollover Protection Structures simulation (D. Agius).
- Secondary Supervisor, MEng (Mechanical Engineering) by Research, topic: Hazardous Tree Modelling and Removal (B. Green).
- External Supervisor – Queensland University of Technology, PhD (Mechanical Engineering), topic: Investigation of roughness effects on surface ratcheting in rail wheel interface under PEHL contact condition (A. Athukorala).
Membership in Journal Editorial Boards
- International Journal of Materials Engineering Innovation
- Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management
- International Journal of Sustainable Aviation
- Purton L, Kourousis K., Clothier R., Massey, K., Mutual Recognition of National Military Airworthiness Authorities: A Streamlined Assessment Process, International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, In Press – Accepted Manuscript
- Kourousis, K.I., Dafalias, Y.F., 2013, Constitutive Modeling of Aluminum Alloy 7050 Cyclic Mean Stress Relaxation and Ratcheting, Mechanics Research Communications, 53, 53-56.
- Pavlou D.G., Kourousis K.I., 2013, A Phenomenological Approach for Fatigue Damage Accumulation of CF/PEEK Laminates under Two-stage Loading, International Review of Mechanical Engineering, 7, 7, 1323-1328.
- Kourousis, K.I., 2013, Supervision of Engineering Doctorates in Australian Universities: A Review of Key Issues, World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, 11, 3, 228-232.
- Kourousis, K.I., 2013, A Holistic Approach to General Aviation Aircraft Structural Failure Prevention in Australia, Aviation, 17, 3, 98-103.
- Malagas, K., Kourousis, K.I., Baxter, G., Nikitakos, N., Gritzalis, S., 2013, The Introduction of Innovative Services in a State Owned Airline: A Case Study of a IT Migration Project, Journal of Technology Management and Innovation, 8, 2, 74-83
- Feigenbaum, H.P., Dugdale, J., Dafalias, Y.F., Kourousis, K.I., Plesek, J., 2012, Multiaxial Ratcheting with Advanced Kinematic and Directional Distortional Hardening, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 49, 22, 3063-3076
- Dafalias, Y.F., Kourousis, K.I., Saridis, G.J., 2008, Multiplicative AF Kinematic Hardening in Plasticity, 2008, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 45, 10, 2861-2880
- Kourousis, K.I., Saridis, G.J., Dafalias, Y.F., 2007, Cyclic Plasticity Model with Multiplicative Backstress Decomposition, (Chapter 12), Experimental and Computational Analysis of Damaged Materials, Transworld Research Network, ISBN 978-81-7895-308-3
Conference papers/poster presentations
- Purton, L., Kourousis, K.I., Assessment of Technical Airworthinessin Military Aviation: Implementation and Further Advancement of the Bow‐tie Model, 3rd International Symposium on Aircraft Airworthiness, Toulouse, France, 2014 [Procedia Engineering – In Press].Kourousis, K.I., Purton, L., ‘Military Airworthiness Management Frameworks: A Critical Review, 3rdInternational Symposium on Aircraft Airworthiness, Toulouse, France, 2014 [Procedia Engineering – In Press].
- Kourousis, K.I., A Cyclic Plasticity Model for Advanced Light Metal Alloys, Proceedings of International Conference in Advances of Mechanics Engineering (ICAME) 2013, Jakarta, Indonesia, [Applied Mechanics and Materials ISSN 1660-9336].
- Pavlou, D.G., Kourousis, K.I., 2013, Derivation of Fatigue Damage Accumulation Curves Based on Changes in Composite Materials Properties, Proceeding of the International Conference on Structural Integrity and Fracture (SIF) 2013, Melbourne VIC, Australia, [ISBN 978-0-646-90720-8].
- Kourousis, K.I., 2011, Plasticity of Metals Subjected to Cyclic and Asymmetric Loads: Modeling of Uniaxial and Multiaxial Behavior, Proceedings of Aircraft Structural Integrity Program (ASIP) Conference 2011, San Antonio TX, USA
- Kourousis, K.I., Lappas, I., 2008, Development of Plasticity Model for Steel Ratcheting Simulation, Aircraft Structural Integrity Program (ASIP) Conference 2008, San Antonio TX, USA
- Kourousis, K.I., Saridis, G.J., Dafalias, Y.F., 2008, A Multiplicative AF Kinematic Hardening Model, 12th International Conference Fatigue and Plasticity, Paris, France
- Kourousis, K.I., 2007, Cyclic Elastoplastic Response of Aluminium Alloy 7075 to Low-cycle Fatigue, Aircraft Structural Integrity Program (ASIP) Conference 2007, Palm Springs CA, USA