You will be introduced to issues related to business globalisation within a Vietnamese context.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
This global intensive is suitable for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students from any discipline including OUA, and will be taking place 14 November - 4 December 2016.
You will have the opportunity to work in multi- and cross-disciplinary teams, and benefit from exposure to the ideas, knowledge and skills of peers from other disciplines, programs and year levels.
Set in South East Asia, the world’s 13th most populous country Vietnam is a truly exciting destination. From its breathtaking coastline, emerald-green mountains and fast-paced cities there is always something to see and explore. It is a county that is rich in culture and tradition with major influences (customs, religion and cuisine) from the French and Chinese.
As you travel through the country, there are many remnants that remind you of the Vietnam War (The Vietnamese call it the American War), yet the country and its people have shown incredible resilience and determination by rebuilding the country with a particular focus on the economy. Since 2000 Vietnam’s economy growth rate has been amongst the highest in the world and with that came admission into the World Trade Organisation in 2007.
Ho Chi Minh
Located in the south of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City is the largest city in Vietnam and forms part of the Mekong River Delta. Following reunification in 1976, the city was renamed and established to include Saigon and the surrounding districts. After the economic reforms initiated in Vietnam in 1986, Ho Chi Minh City became the economic and financial hub of Vietnam whereby it continually attracts migrants from the provinces which has resulted in a rapid population growth. In 2012, Ho Chi Minh City’s official population was around 7.8 million people. This figure is expected to rise and by 2025 with the expected population for the city to grow to 13.9 million.
RMIT University Vietnam
RMIT University Vietnam is an Asian campus of Melbourne-based University RMIT - Australia's biggest tertiary institution. RMIT Vietnam offers programs from business and management to design and micro engineering, and boasts an impressive range of extra-curricular activities that encourage students to break new ground in their areas of interest.
School of Business IT and Logistics
The School of Business IT and Logistics, situated in Melbourne’s Central Business District, is one of six schools within the College of Business and recognised throughout the Asia Pacific region as a leader in the provision of education for the Information Systems, Business IT, Information Management, and in Logistics and Supply Chain Management professions.
- Date of overseas tour: Monday 14 November – Sunday 4 December 2016
- Recommended arrival date: Sunday 13 November 2016
- Pre Tour Workshop: Two weekends in October and November 2016. Dates to be confirmed.
- Post Tour Workshop: March 2017. Date and time to be confirmed.
- Students must attend ALL classes unless ill, in which case they must obtain a medical certificate as evidence of their illness
Overseas Course Content/Topics
Based on the 2015 program, topics covered overseas include*:
- The History of Vietnam
- Careers and Working in Vietnam
- The role of NGOs in Vietnam
- Working Cross-Culturally in Vietnam
- Entrepreneurship in Vietnam
- Logistics in Vietnam
- The Retail Industry in Vietnam
- The Manufacturing Industry in Vietnam
- The Construction Industry in Vietnam
* Please note that the program changes from year to year and will be finalised before the second weekend workshop in Melbourne.
Course content and Assessment
You will enrol in the course:
ISYS2384 - Business Globalisation: A Study Abroad Vietnam (Undergraduate)
ISYS2385 - Business Globalisation: A Study Abroad Vietnam (Postgraduate)
Assessment tasks may include:
- Individual Reflective Journal on Vietnam Global Intensive
- Individual Vietnam Assessment Task
- Group Magazine (UG), Group Report (PG)
- Group Presentation
How to apply and information sessions
Please complete A study Abroad Vietnam Mobi application form by Monday 10 October 2016.
As there are limited places available, students are encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointment.
Wednesdays 12:30pm – 1:30pm
- 6 & 13 April in room 80.04.22
- 20 & 27 April in room 80.10.11
- 4, 11 & 18 May in room 80.04.22
Fridays 6:00pm – 7:00pm
- 8, 15, 22 & 29 April in room 80.07.02
To be confirmed.
For further enquires contact Dr Huan Vo-Tran
Tel:+61 3 9925 1699