George Alexander Foundation Scholarship
If you have academic ability, leadership potential, a passion for community involvement and the will to succeed, this scholarship can provide assistance towards your study costs.
Value and duration
The scholarship provides $7500 per year for two years and training in a leadership program.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- be enrolled full-time in the standard semester 1 and 2 at RMIT in a bachelor degree in 2018
- have completed one year of your program
- have at least two years full-time study remaining in 2018 and 2019*
- be able to demonstrate academic merit
- show initiative and commitment in your academic or personal life
- be active in your community (i.e. volunteer work, university clubs and committees, student leadership or sporting teams)
- demonstrate leadership potential
- not have completed the same level of program or higher, e.g. if you are studying a Bachelor of Applied Science (Construction Management), you should not have previously completed another bachelor degree.
*Note: Bachelor of Architectural Design (BP250) students who are going into their third year of full-time study in 2018 and directly into the Master of Architecture (MC163) in 2019 are eligible to apply (if all other eligibility criteria are met).
Postgraduate students are ineligible to apply.
How to apply
Complete the online application by the close date. Multiple applications will not be considered; only your first application will be assessed.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a complete online application. Partial applications will not be assessed.
Ensure that you have your supporting documentation ready to upload in order to complete your application. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
You will need:
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from an academic, dated no more than three months ago to support the statements you have made in your application. To assist the academic, provide them with Writing a Scholarship Letter of Recommendation for a Student (PDF 156kb, 1p)
- your two-year plan, no more than one page in length, outlining how you will continue to develop your skills and work over the duration of your scholarship. Please use the template provided here to write your two-year plan
- your curriculum vitae, no more than two pages in length
- one letter of recommendation from an organisation external to RMIT to support your statements regarding your community participation dated no more than three months ago
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. Once you have completed a question online, you cannot go back and modify your response(s). The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Describe your academic performance or equivalent industry experience; in particular discuss any achievements or significant academic results?
- Describe your more recent involvement in community activities, including number of hours per week and main responsibilities (e.g. volunteering, club memberships).
- Describe how you have shown leadership potential in your working and personal life.
- Discuss your passion for studying in your chosen field, including the steps you have taken to achieve your educational goals.
- How do you intend to use this scholarship and how will it assist you to achieve academic success?
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Applications now open.
Applications close 11:59PM Sunday 19 November 2017. No late applications will be accepted.
Terms and conditions
As part of this scholarship, you will undertake leadership training (through Future Edge) and each year contribute at least 15 hours of volunteer work.
View the Coursework Scholarships Office’s Scholarships and Grants Terms and Conditions (PDF 464kb, 30p).
George Alexander (1910–2008) was an engineer who studied Industrial Management and Executive Training at RMIT. George was particularly aware of the obstacles he had faced as a child and his own lack of education, so he was inspired to help young people from disadvantaged backgrounds get a start in life. In order to achieve this, he created the George Alexander Foundation to use his wealth in a constructive way.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account by 31 March 2018. Only successful candidates will be contacted. If you have not received an offer by 31 March 2018, your application has been unsuccessful.
Ready to Apply?