Equity and Diversity Committee
This is an advisory committee reporting to the Vice-Chancellor through the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic.
Terms of Reference
1. The Committee provides advice to the Vice-Chancellor to inform the development, implementation and review of strategies, plans, and developments that support student and staff equity and diversity at RMIT.
2. The Committee makes recommendations regarding policy initiatives in the equity area.
3. The Committee provides advice on the development of institutional responses to policy and strategic initiatives taken by government and other external bodies.
4. The Committee provides advice on findings and analysis of trends of regular reporting to government agencies and recommends strategies and provides advice on compact indicators for Higher Education.
5. The Committee acts as a reference group for major initiatives affecting staff and student equity and diversity, including strategic and associated planning and development.
6. The Committee convenes sub-committees and working parties to progress business as appropriate
1. The Chairperson reports each quarter to the Vice-Chancellor through the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic regarding the business of the Committee.
2. The Committee develops an annual workplan.
3. The business of the Committee is communicated internally via published minutes and action sheets.
4. The Committee facilities and contributes to forums, workshops, consultative or developmental engagements as appropriate to progress and publicise the equity and diversity agenda.
The membership will consist of:
- Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)
- Deputy Vice Chancellor International and Development or nominee
- Dean of Students (Chair of the Committee)
- Chief operating officer and Vice President (Resources) or nominee
- Director, Students Group
- Manager Equity and Diversity, Student Service Group
- Principal Advisor with responsibility for Diversity, Human Resources
- Pro Vice Chancellor Business (or nominee)
- Pro Vice Chancellor Science, Engineering and Health (or nominee)
- Pro Vice Chancellor Design and Social Context (or nominee)
- Executive Director Vocational Education (or nominee)
- Academic Registrar (or nominee)
- Executive Director Policy and Planning (or nominee)
- Three students nominated by the Student Experience Advisory Committee, one Vocational Education student and one undergraduate and one postgraduate (coursework/research) student Higher Education student
Other officers of the University whose activities impact on and contribute to equity and diversity will be coopted and/or invited to contribute to the Committee as advisors as appropriate.
Working groups may be formed from time to time to oversee specific projects.
The Committee will be supported by the executive assistant to the chairperson.
Frequency of Meetings
The committee will meet at least twice per annum.
Quorum will be half of the number of members plus one member.
The Committee aims to reach agreement on actions by consensus. Where this is not possible the matter(s) will be referred to the Vice Chancellor.
Approved by Vice Chancellor’s Executive Committee on 27th October 2005
Amendments approved by Vice Chancellor on the 26th November 2012