Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions from students registered with our service.

Registering with us

Am I eligible to register?

Students with a disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition and primary carers of individuals with a disability can receive a range of services to assist them undertake their chosen field of study. Review our eligibility criteria.

I’m deciding whether to register, should I tell RMIT about my disability?

We appreciate that telling us about your disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition is an important decision. We have provided some information to consider when deciding to register.

How do I register?

To receive support from Equitable Learning Services (ELS) you will need to register with our service. We recommend that you register as soon as you have enrolled, as some of the assistance we can give you needs early planning. Find out how to register.

What happens after I register?

So you’ve met with a Disability Advisor, registered with our service, here’s what happens next.

Is my disability kept confidential?

When registering with ELS you are asked to sign a Registration/Confidentiality form. This form allows our staff to access your supporting documentation but we do not make the information available to your School or other departments unless you request us to.


What do I do when I need to ask for an extension?

If you have the Equitable Assessment Arrangement for ‘Extensions’ within your Equitable Learning Plan, please negotiate directly with teaching staff for that course, and direct them to your Equitable Learning Plan. Your teachers are able to grant you an initial extension of over seven days without having to follow the special consideration process.

My school has asked me to fill out a form when requesting an extension. Do I need to do this?

Schools have different internal processes so you may need to fill out another form. However, your Equitable Learning Plan is the only official evidence you need to provide to receive an extension.

I have requested an extension via email and I haven’t had a response. What do I do?

Try again! Please make multiple attempts to contact teaching staff in person and via email.

If you can’t get a response from them, ask us for assistance.

My academic has directed me to apply for special consideration even though I have the Equitable Assessment Arrangement for extensions. What do I do?

If it is your first extension, you do not need to apply for special consideration. Direct the academic to your Equitable Learning Plan where this is clearly stated.

If you require a second extension, you will need to apply for special consideration.

Special consideration

When else might special consideration be relevant for me?

If something unexpected happens, such as missing assessments due to a family member’s funeral, the correct process is to apply for special consideration.

Exam arrangments

When and how do I find out about my exam location?

Before the exam period, the Exams, Awards and Graduation team will email you details about your exam times, locations and your Equitable Assessment Arrangements.

My exams are run through my school. Who puts my Equitable Assessment Arrangements in place?

Your school is responsible for in-school tests and exams. Speak with teaching staff leading up to your tests or exams to ensure the arrangements are put in place.

Do my Equitable Assessment Arrangements apply to in-class and online tests, as well as practicals?

Yes. They apply to exams, in-class and online tests, and practicals.

Deciding to register

Should I tell RMIT?

Forms you might need

Download now

Who we assist

Eligibility criteria