Vice-Chancellor’s Prize for Research Impact – HDR
The Vice-Chancellor’s Prize for Research Impact - HDR is awarded to a Higher Degree by Research candidate who can demonstrate the potential for significant impact of their research outside the academic community. The definition of impact for this award includes the demonstrable contribution that research makes to the economy, society, culture, national security, public policy or services, health, the environment, or quality of life, beyond contributions to academia.
Selection of prize recipients is by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation based on recommendations of the Awards Panel. The Prize will be made annually and be presented at the RMIT Awards for Excellence ceremony.
In order to be eligible nominees must:
- be a current Higher Degree by Research candidate at RMIT University at the time of nomination
- have successfully completed their Confirmation of Candidature milestone review.
- not have received the same award in either of the preceding two years
Nomination and documentation
This prize is open to any current candidate who meets the eligibility criteria. The nomination process includes self-nomination, or nomination by a peer or staff member (with the nominee’s consent). Nominees should submit their nomination and provide supporting statements via this page and must include the following:
- a completed nomination form (PDF 990KB 5p) addressing the above selection criteria
- endorsement from the relevant Dean/Head of School
- a supporting statement (PDF 1.32MB 3p) which addresses the selection criteria prepared by one of the candidate’s supervisors
- a supporting statement (PDF 1.32MB 3p), on the relevance of the research and demonstrated potential for impact, from an individual in a relevant industry
- the candidate’s CV
Only complete nominations from eligible individuals will be considered.
Nominations are collated by the School of Graduate Research for consideration by the Awards Panel. Following final approval by the Deputy Vice- Chancellor Research and Innovation, the prize recipient and other nominees will be notified.
For further guidance on making a nomination, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
In considering candidates’ nominations, the Awards Panel will consider:
- Evidence provided by the nominee which demonstrates the potential for their research to have impact through engagement with industry.
- Details about the underlying research and the potential for research translation.
- Quality and impact of reportable publications/outputs produced during candidature (including impact factor; citation rates, IP generation or external recognition).
- Other competitive achievements (e.g. other prizes received during candidature).
- Evidence of other external engagement with professional bodies, other universities etc.
- Contributions made to the research community of the candidate’s academic unit.
Candidates should also be able to evidence timely candidature progress.
Any research outputs submitted in support of a nomination for a candidate prize must have been produced during the period of candidature at RMIT.
Nominees should be aware that the Awards Panel will use information in ResearchMaster to validate any publications provided in nominations. Please ensure that all reportable outputs information is submitted via online form which can be found here.
Candidates with non-traditional research outputs should ensure that their outputs are clearly listed and the research significance of them is explained in their CV. These outputs will be considered on provision of supporting evidence from the nominee, and a statement from the school HDR Coordinator attesting the output’s significance and the peer review status of the outlet/venue.
Value of the award
The Vice-Chancellor’s Prize for Research Impact – Higher Degree by Research will comprise:
- A cash award of $3000 paid to the awardee
- A certificate signed by the Vice-Chancellor
- A permanent record of the award on an appropriate webpage (Honour Board) of the University.
- Commemorative Trophy.