RG Kayler-Thomson Memorial Scholarship
For full-time Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours) students who are interested in a career in air conditioning/ refrigeration/ heating and who will undertake the Applied Heat and Mass Transfer course and a project in the thermofluids field.
Value and duration
The scholarship is valued at $6500 per year; for up to two years.
Number of scholarships available
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident
- be enrolled full-time in the standard semester 1 and 2 in 2018 in either:
- your third year of the Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours) (BH070), or
- your fourth year of the Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)/Bachelor of Business (Management) (BH089), the Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology) (BH090) or the Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)(Honours)/Bachelor of Industrial Design (Honours) (BH093)
- have completed Applied Thermodynamics (MIET2421) and Fluid Mechanics of Mechanical Systems (MIET2422) with a grade of distinction or higher in both courses
- have a Grade Point Average (GPA) to date of 2.5 or greater
- have two years of full-time study left to complete
- undertake the Applied Heat and Mass Transfer course and a project in the thermofluids field in your final year (your second year of payments is dependent upon these enrolments and satisfactory academic performance).
How to apply
Complete the online application by the close date. Multiple applications will not be considered; only your first application will be assessed.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a complete online application. Partial applications will not be assessed.
Ensure that you have your supporting documentation ready to upload in order to complete your application. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
Please refer to the Supporting Documentation – Financial and Educational Disadvantage Guide (PDF, 218kb, 2pgs) which outlines acceptable forms of supporting documentation.
You will also need:
- The contact information (name, organisation and contact number) for two referees
- A copy of your academic transcript (if applicable) if you studied at an institution other than RMIT in 2017
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. Once you have completed a question online, you cannot go back and modify your response(s). The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Discuss your passion for studying in your chosen field, including the steps you have taken to achieve your educational goals.
- What are your future plans and career aspirations?
- How do you intend to use this scholarship and how will it assist you to achieve academic success?
- Describe your two best academic achievements or learning experiences in your current program?
- Are there any difficult circumstances that prevent you from reaching your educational potential?
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Applications now open.
Applications close 11:59PM Sunday 19 November 2017. No late applications will be accepted.
Terms and conditions
View the Coursework Scholarships Office’s Scholarships and Grants Terms and Condition (PDF 464kb, 30p).
The RG Kayler-Thomson Memorial Scholarship was established by the late Marion Kayler-Thomson and is administered by the Australian Institute of Refrigeration Air Conditioning and Heating (AIRAH) in honour of her husband and son who worked in refrigeration engineering.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account by 31 March 2018. Only successful candidates will be contacted. If you have not received an offer by 31 March 2018, your application has been unsuccessful.
Ready to Apply?