Health, safety and security

If you are concerned about your safety or well-being we can help.


For emergency ambulance, fire or police assistance phone triple zero 000.

RMIT Security emergency help

Ext. 53333 (internal phone call)
Phone: 9925 3333 (external phone call)

Learn more about security.


If you are concerned about behaviour that may be inappropriate or threatening to you or another person contact RMIT’s Safer Community Unit for advice, support and referral.

Reporting a criminal offence

If you are a victim of a crime or a witness to a crime do not be reluctant to approach Victoria Police to report it. If you are not comfortable in reporting the crime, seek advice and guidance from someone you trust or contact a Student Support Advisor at RMIT Connect for advice or Counselling for a confidential session with a counselor.

Domestic violence

Domestic violence is a criminal offence in Australia. It can include physical injury, direct or indirect threats, sexual assault, emotional and psychological torment, property damage, controlling access to money, social isolation and stalking.

If you witness any form of domestic violence or are victim of one, please seek advice and guidance from someone you trust or contact the Domestic Violence Resource Centre.

Staying safe in Melbourne

Safety is your right and your responsibility, learn more about staying safe.


Emergency medical help

Urgent medical care is available from hospital emergency departments near all three Melbourne RMIT campuses. Learn more about emergency medical help.

When health affects your study

If health problems are affecting your study, there are ways to manage short and longer-term health issues.

Need to talk to someone?

  • Counselling
    Talk to us about any personal issue, no matter how big or small.
  • Chaplaincy
    Talk with one of our multi-faith chaplains.
  • Student Support Advisor
    We are located at RMIT Connect (City and Bundoora campuses) and can assist with accommodation, legal and money advice. If you are an international student we can also help you make cultural and social adjustments.

Seeing a doctor

There are no doctors or nurses on campus. Find doctors and dentists near your campus.

Doctors in Australia charge between $35 and $70 for a normal consultation.

For international students holding an Australian student visa, your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will enable you to claim most of the fee back through Medibank. Make sure to always have your current student ID card and Medibank OSHC card at every consultation. Alternatively, you will need to pay the whole bill and take the receipt, your Medibank OSHC card and Student ID card to a Medibank office to claim your refund.

Nurse-on-call 1300 60 60 24

Nurse-on-Call, a Victorian Government health initiative, is a phone service that gives you access to 24/7 medical information and advice from a registered nurse.

Call 1300 60 60 24 for the cost of a local call from anywhere in Victoria, calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate.

In an emergency phone 000 for an ambulance (costs apply).

Safe City taxi ranks scheme run by the City of Melbourne.

Need a taxi home?

Safe City taxi ranks

Health services

Near your campus