About Malcolm Moore
The Malcom Moore Award was established by the late Malcolm Moore through a perpetual bequest donated to the University to promote industry and education relationships.
Malcolm Moore (1888-1969), engineer and industrialist, was born in Brisbane. Malcolm attended a Brisbane state school and Caulfield Grammar School in Melbourne. He then studied mining and civil engineering at the University of Melbourne. During World War I, he worked in Glasgow and London for the Ministry of Munitions.
On his return to Melbourne, Moore established Malcolm Moore (Industries) Ltd in 1921 and advertised his services as a manufacturer's agent and engineer. In 1927 he set up his firm's manufacturing centre in Williamstown Road, Port Melbourne. Branches were later opened in every State capital and several provincial centres. Appreciating the need for increased productivity in many areas of industry, he made his firm a specialist in the design and manufacture of mechanical-handling and construction equipment.
In 1953 Moore retired to devote himself to his educational and philanthropic interests.
Moore and a number of other industrialists asked the Education Department in 1937 to introduce courses for foremen and to hold these classes at the Melbourne Technical College.
Moore was a foundation member of the M.T.C. Foremanship Association in 1939, which was renamed the Australian Institute of Management in 1949. Moore served on the national council and was president in 1956-58. A generous benefactor to the institute and its State divisions, he gave $25,000 in 1961-64 to help to build Management House, Brisbane. He also served in World War II as a Commonwealth engineering consultant and member of the Australian Army Mechanisation Board.
A man of integrity and compassion, Moore was active in the Australian Inland Mission's aerial medical service and in establishing (1942) the (Royal) Flying Doctor Service of Australia. He was a long-time councillor and president (1947-51) of the Victorian section of the R.F.D.S., and served on the federal council as secretary, treasurer, consultant and president (1956-58). In 1958 he was appointed C.B.E.
Moore was awarded the Australian Institute of Management's (Sir) John Storey medal (1963), Rotary's vocational service award (1965), and the Institution of Production Engineers' Jack Finlay national award.
Moore died on 24 November 1969 at Toorak and left 30 per cent of his estate as a bequest to promote management education. His portrait by Paul Fitzgerald is held by the Australian Institute of Management, Queensland division.