Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Research Excellence - ECR
The Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Research Excellence – ECR (Early Career Researcher) recognises an RMIT early career academic who has achieved the highest level of excellence in their research activity for the preceding three years. The purpose of this Award is to recognise and encourage outstanding researchers undertaking research that is of major importance in its field and who have made a significant contribution in advancing knowledge and research outcomes. This is evidenced by their track record, relative to opportunity, and performance including attraction of competitive and other external research funding, dissemination of research outcomes, patents, student supervisions and completions and citations and other contributions relevant to the discipline demonstrating esteem, excellence or leadership.
Selection of award recipients is by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation based on recommendations of the Awards Panel. The Award will be made annually and be presented at the RMIT Awards for Excellence ceremony in November.
Nominations are restricted to one category per nominee, however the Research Awards Panel has the discretion to consider any eligible nominations for more than one category of award.
Those eligible for nomination are:
- Research-active academic staff who have had a substantive RMIT appointment, normally 0.4 FTE or above, for a minimum of 2 years as at the closing date for the awards
- Researchers who have been awarded a PhD within the last five years, or longer if combined with periods of significant career interruption
- For those eligible research-active academic staff on fixed-term contracts, the RMIT appointment must be current until the end of 2018
Previous recipients of a Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Research Excellence - ECR are not eligible to apply
Nomination and documentation
The Award is open to all ECR staff. The awards are by nomination only, with staff to be nominated by an academic from within RMIT (with the nominee’s consent). Nominations must address the selection criteria and include two statements of endorsement. One statement of endorsement must be made by the nominator but the second may be either a RMIT academic or an external person who is familiar with the nominee’s field of research and achievements and who can comment on the nominee’s performance against the selection criteria. All nominations must be endorsed by the relevant Dean/Head of School. The Dean/Head of School can also be the nominator. Please refer to the nomination forms for details.
To express interest in this award and request a nomination form please email: email@example.com and include the name of the award in the subject header.
Nominations will be judged on a range of criteria that may include, but is not limited to the following:
- High level of research performance, relative to opportunity, that demonstrates the individual is clearly on an upward trajectory.
- Research outcomes of high quality and excellence, including competitive research grant and/or commercial research income, publications and HDR student supervision or supporting documentation for Creative Works, exhibitions etc.
- Significance of the research in contributing to new knowledge and/or innovations in the discipline.
- Demonstrated external recognition at the national and/or international level.
- Other contributions demonstrating esteem, excellence or leadership beyond the discipline.
Nominees should be aware that the Awards Panel will use information in Research Master to validate evidence provided in nominations. Please ensure that all reportable research output information has been submitted via online form which can be found here.
Value of the award
The Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Research Excellence – Early Career Researcher will comprise:
- A cash prize of $10,000 paid into the research account of the awardee, to advance and support Research supervision practice, scholarship and research
- A certificate signed by the Vice-Chancellor
- A permanent record of the award on an appropriate webpage (Honour Board) of the University
- Commemorative trophy