How to Apply for a Place in a Research Program at RMIT Business

To undertake a research program at RMIT Business students need to enrol in the school that most closely correlates with their research interests. In many cases the research which is to be undertaken by a student will be cross disciplinary in nature and as such students may be required to liaise with supervisors, staff and other research students across schools and possibly across colleges within RMIT University. In cases where the research is cross-disciplinary students should enrol in the school, which their senior supervisor is from.


DirectorsDeputy Heads Research and Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Co-ordinators

For further information from the schools and research centres within RMIT Business, interested prospective students may contact the relevant School HDR Co-ordinator or Deputy Head Research.

Application Procedure

Application procedures are different for local applicants (Australian citizens and permanent residents) and International onshore applicants.

Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents

All Australian citizen and Permanent Resident prospective students and all prospective students planning to study in an international offshore mode should apply through the School of Graduate Research.

Apply for a postgraduate degree by research

On the application form you will be asked to fill out information on the following areas: Personal Information, Program Information and Academic Record Information. You are also required to supply a Research Proposal, References, certified Academic Transcripts and information regarding Proposed Supervisors, Professional Experience, Research Experience and Publications (if applicable).

Once your application has been submitted to the School of Graduate Research it will be forwarded to the appropriate school for consideration. If the application is approved, a formal letter of offer will be sent, advising of supervisor details and enrolment procedures.

International Applicants

Any prospective international onshore students who are interested in applying for a research degree, and are not permanent residents of Australia, will need to apply through RMIT International. Details about application are available on the RMIT International website.

For further information about applications to Master of Business by Research or PhD Programs in Business at RMIT contact the Business Research Office.

(Email –

Further information

Applying for a Research degree
RMIT University provides research training in a wide range of subject areas. Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) are available at Masters and PhD levels